Education /

A frustrated educator posted an essay on Medium this week saying she and “thousands of others” are considering leaving the profession because the classroom “isn’t a safe space anymore.”

“I’ve been teaching for over ten years. I’ve wanted to be a teacher since I was a kid. It was my dream job. I even got a PhD. Now, I’m about to quit,” Jessica Wildfire wrote.

“The MAGA students are getting worse. They’ve always complained about safe spaces. The classroom is supposed to be one. They don’t like that. They’ve turned classrooms into one of the most dangerous places in the world. Imagine a bunch of people with different views and experiences, all randomly thrown together in a room and asked to talk to each other while learning how to debate topics like abortion and global warming. Now let some of those students have guns, and add a deadly virus,” she added.

The teacher then claimed “nobody listens to us.”

“They won’t give us better classrooms or newer textbooks. They won’t lower our class sizes, or do anything backed by research. They ask us to write reports, but they don’t read them. They lecture to us. They get angry when we contradict them. They hold long meetings, guzzling coffee and scarfing up pastries while complaining about us. They wonder why enrollment is falling, or test scores are dropping. They decide to blame us,” she concludes.

Read the full essay here.

18 responses to “Teacher Posts Essay on Reasons She’s ‘About to Quit,’ Claims ‘Thousands of Others’ Will Do the Same”

1. shunsin7 says:

First she condescends the students by saying “They think liberals are panicking about the coronavirus.”

Then she express her concern that the students can legitimately threaten her safety by breathing on her “Now they can actually hurt me, just by breathing.”

Cognitive dissonance.

Here when she says ‘take out’ again she means ‘breathe on’ “They’ll[politicians] send them unmasked and unvaxxed into my classroom, which they see as a “liberal indoctrination center” to take me out. They’ll also take out the students I care about, the ones I want to work with, who make the job worth it.”

Clearly the students are ISNANE for thinking liberals are panicking. /sarcasm

2. badmemory says:

I’m sorry, but doesn’t “the public” employ her?? Yes, since we pay her salary (with our tax dollars), we are her boss. Go! Quit! I am sure the parents of the children you teach would be very happy!

3. Pryboy says:

Aren’t the teachers unions the ones who fight to keep public schools the way they currently are? I mean if she’s really a teacher that’s who she should be pointing the finger at.

Let them quit, then we can get teachers with common sense armed with facts not feelings teach our kids.

4. CConnelly says:

Students with guns? Either she’s a college professor, or she’s lying. Some states allow college students to carry guns. I can’t find any state that has allows K-12 students to have guns. She’s just saying nonsense to justify her own neurotic failures.

5. Turk_Longwell says:

I made it to “The MAGA students…” and burst out laughing. I read all about this crazy lady.
    If they all quit, good. I’ll apply. F it. Let’s save the youth. I do love AP English and History classes.
    Give a book to read and I’ll teach the hell out of it.

6. Swiftmind says:

This person is clearly a biased teacher. Very progressive and is complaining that they are getting pushback. It is great to hear this. I was really taken aback by some of the statements in the essay. This is a typical “teacher” that just wants to dictate and push their views on the students.

The best quote from the essay, “Conservatives know how to play the long game. They understand the power of state and local governments. Those are the locations of power when it comes to controlling the school system.”

That is funny. I never heard conservatives play the long game before. But what is great to hear is yes, the local institutions should and need to start increasing their power again. We need to get away from the over powered centralized federal institutions. My rebuttal to that quote is: So what? What is wrong with that? Why not have local institutions who understand the local population have more power? Local institutions can have greater power in how students are taught and still cover all the standard subjects. Facts, truth, science, whatever, will stand on its own and be taught regardless of “local power”.

Lastly, the school systems are not doing great as it is, so a push for change is great to hear.

7. Phantomcode says:

This kids are rebellious, thats a good sign. Liberty and freedom

8. WaterEarthMud says:

this teacher should quit, please do it today and encourage all of your teaching friends to do the same!
    why wait
    there is nothing for you at school
    earn your absorbently raised wages 5 yrs before you retire so u can retire with more of a pension. isnt your pension and free healthcare why you become teachers.

9. PseudoSwede says:

“…nobody listens to us.”

AFT. NEA. That is all.

10. mainsoda says:

When she said the MAGA students are getting to be too many, I was really happy about that.

11. Tom Collins says:

Click the link at the bottom of the story and read her entire essay. This is absolutely amazing. I’ve never read anything so self centered. With this attitude I doubt she could teach anything. She could lecture but never teach. To teach you must have true respect for your students, she has none. It seems her entire world view is centered around herself.
    And she is only one of many. Is this 2021 or 1921???

• Wyndsong says:

I read the entire essay too and wow! first, I wonder if she even is an actual teacher. She goes back and forth in her essay talking like she’s teaching young children, to teens, and then young adults. What grade is she teaching? She never says. most of the essay sounds like she’s teaching in high school… but other times it sounds more like a college. It’s that all over the place writing style that makes me question the validity of it. It’s very poorly written, especially for a supposed PHD. And someone should have edited it better as well. It’s a Facebook rant, not an essay.

• Alramsey says:

I read her essay. Wow. I hope she quits pretty soon, and the thousands of other teachers she was mentioning as well. People like that should not be teaching kids.

I’d be willing to bet that her number one issue is that kids started recording teacher’s rants and posting them online.

I hate these people. Hate, hate, hate. I absolutely despise them. I don’t want to share a country with them. I don’t want to share a planet with them.

There is no middle ground and no compromise. We are not both partially right and there is no middle ground to come to. They are wrong about everything and they must be fought and stopped.

And most frustrating of all is they actually think they are the fucking good guys. Fuck all Democrats.

14. DemonEyesJason says:

She doesn’t have any self awareness of all the things she’s claiming of conservatives she’s doing herself. The school system will be well off if people like her leave and maybe we can get back to what school should be. I want some liberal teachers in the system that are willing to listen and provide many different perspectives, but unfortunately they’ve been driven out by teachers and leftists like herself.

15. TruckeeCrawdad says:

Interesting. A leftist teacher bitching about diversity

• PseudoSwede says:

They’re all about them some diversity —until it comes to diversity-of-thought, that is.

They like their “diversity” skin-deep, and nothing more…

Popular