Legal /

Supreme Court Justice Kagan: Abortion is 'Part of the Fabric of Women’s Place in This Country'

Supreme Court Justice Elena Kagan argued that abortion is “part of the fabric of women’s place in this country” to defend Roe v. Wade as SCOTUS is hearing the Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Heath Organization case.

The case they are hearing centers on the 2018 Mississippi law banning most abortions after 15 weeks of pregnancy. The law does have exemptions carved out for cases of severe fetal anomalies or medical emergencies.

Mississippi’s law had been blocked by the lower courts.

On Wednesday, SCOTUS heard approximately 90 minutes of oral arguments for the case, which may be the most direct challenge to Roe v. Wade since it’s adoption.

The court is currently a 6-3 majority for conservatives, all of whom appeared to be open to changing the court’s previous determination that abortion is legal until a fetus becomes viable, according to a report from the Star Tribune.

The liberal judges argued that it is wrong to overturn a longstanding decision, but Justice Brett Kavanaugh countered that previous decisions were overruled to end segregation and allow gay marriage.

“Mississippi’s ban on abortion, two months before viability, is flatly unconstitutional under decades of precedent,” Center for Reproductive Rights Senior Director Julie Rikelman said during oral arguments. “Two generations have now relied on this right and 1 out of every 4 women makes a decision to end a pregnancy.”

Justice Amy Coney Barrett responded by asking Rikelman why women do not take advantage of safe haven laws, where they can drop off babies at locations such as fire departments, without facing any penalties.

“We don’t just focus on the burdens of parenting,” instead pregnancy is unique and “in fact has impact on all of their lives and their ability to care for other children, other family members, on their ability to work,” Rikelman replied.

Mississippi Solicitor General Scott G. Stewart, who provided oral arguments in favor of the state’s law, pointed to Justice John Marshall Harlan’s dissent in Plessy v. Ferguson — when the Court ruled in favor of racial segregation.

“In respect of civil rights, all citizens are equal before the law,” Harlan had said. Stewart argued that these rights must extend to the unborn.

The state argued, “the conclusion that abortion is a constitutional right has no basis in text, structure, history, or tradition.”

Protesters Claim to Take Abortion Pills During Stunt Outside Supreme Court (VIDEO)

Demonstrators from both sides of the debate gathered outside the Supreme Court on Wednesday — with women from the activist group Shout Your Abortion consuming what they claimed were abortion pills in the middle of a cheering crowd.

12 responses to “Supreme Court Justice Kagan: Abortion is ‘Part of the Fabric of Women’s Place in This Country’”

1. Deadbeat116 says:

Both these things are manageable. Diabetes and epilepsy both.

2. IntegratedCrazy says:

I don’t believe the government should be able to stick it’s fingers in anyone’s money hole. However, last I check men don’t have any rights when it comes to abortion, so why should we fight for women to have any either? Did women join the fight for men’s rights? Nope. So fuck ya.

3. ellen3sons says:

Believe it or not, there are still people walking around knowing that recreational sex can lead to unwanted pregnancy….so they find something more exciting to do with their lives.

If you don’t give a damn about blood of your blood, bone of your bone, or flesh of your flesh…it would seem to me you don’t give a damn about much of anything. I have had friends that had abortions due to medical issues one epilepsy (and meds) and one insulin dependent juvenile onset diabetes and it traumatized them, haunted them. Because they were women that had to make a terrible decision… they had empathy and feelings.

The shame is 6 ways to Sunday birth control and women too lazy to use it. They all were taking the morning after pill the other day for the press (or claimed to) so I KNOW they have access. There is NO excuse for the number of abortions performed in this country. There are: pills implants, shots, foam, diaphragms, IUDs, condoms (free- if you can’t afford it at the health Dept). I don’t care if they sleep with the football team. I didn’t depend on my husband for birth control any more than I did for him to change the bed sheets. It wasn’t HIM gonna carry a baby.

I remember the abortion law being passed. People said at the time it would be a slippery slope and the next thing you know beyond 12 weeks. If you can’t be responsible for your reproductive health and sexual conduct, can you not take care of the situation in a TIMELY HUMANE manner? Sex is not an amusement park ride. It has REAL consequences. And BTW I better not see any you bitches at ANY animal rights shit (or climate change either).

7. ocnier says:

I begrudgingly respect Sotomayor but staunchly disagree with her, at least at some point she cut teeth on the streets as criminal judge. The one Judge that I can’t stand above all is Kagan. All she’s really ever been is a fat lesbo professor not worthy to lick the dogshit from C. Thomas’s shoes. Fucking Obama LGBT FATASS FEMINAZI PLANT. I’m actually stunned she doesn’t have pink/blue hair yet, but I digress…..

8. Revu says:

Teach women not to open their legs for irresponsible men. Or to wear a condom. Thus, my problem with the whole abortion “issue” is teased out: this is a problem of responsibility. Both individuals involved in the coitus resulting in the woman considering murdering their unborn child have a near infinite number of opportunities to: not have sex, not have unprotected sex, not pull out, get the “morning after” pill, commit to starting a family, adoption, and so on AND SO ON.
    So fuck right off with this “shame men more” pointless, feckless tripe. Or just keep being irresponsible and pushing the blame, then being surprised pikachu face why nothing ever changes, dullards.

9. Colefish says:

I’d die on this hill.

10. Old_Frog says:

I would not have a problem with it except that 800,000 children or more are aborted every year, and most of them are black. That is not Safe and Rare. It is being used as contraceptive. It’s only right to have some restrictions to curb this drastic trend.

11. PolishPierogi says:

You seem to think shaming men for sleeping around or having too many partners will accomplish anything. I can clearly infer that you wear your heart on your sleeve and would like to retaliate against those that don’t. Get stronger, goading individuals based on their choice is childish. As a man that whored around as a bachelor before getting married 13 years ago. Its never something I’d say I was ashamed of; because it was always CONSENTUAL between me and my mate. Abortion is murder, stop tieing yourself into a pretzel to ‘feel good about it’. It takes two to tango, both parents should have say and be held to account in the off chance the egg gets fertilized. At that point you are both in this for the long haul. You don’t get to just shut down conception because you made an oopsie. Forgive me, but I’m catholic and not the turn the other cheek/cucked kind. I’m more of the sell your cloak and buy a damn sword kind. Have a nice day.

12. ZerioctheTank says:

I don’t think the government should be dictating what someone does with their body. Personally I think abortion is an abhorrent practice, and should only be used sparingly. If you want more pro-life people then start by changing the culture. I’ve spoken to so many pro-life men who would brag about sleeping with 20+ women, but slut shame a woman for doing the same. Start shaming men for sleeping around so much. I’m guilty of having too many sexual partners myself. Shame men as much as women are, and maybe things will start to change.