Rainbow-Themed Ads Will Not Be Permitted at Two European Championship Venues

By Hannah Claire Brimelow

Field advertisements that use the LGBTQ+ rainbow are not permitted at the quarter-finals set to take place in Russia and Azerbaijan, announced the Union of European Football Association.

The administrative body has been underfired this month because it “denied a request from local authorities in Munich to light up the stadium in rainbow colors when Germany hosted Hungary in the group stage,” reports AP News

Dieter Reiter, Munich’s mayor who made the request, denounced the decision as “shameful.”

Defending its choice, the UEFA expressed its desire to stay politically neutral. The organization said that “the request itself was political, linked to the Hungarian football team’s presence in the stadium for this evening’s match with Germany.”

Under a new law in Hungary, it is illegal to share content that promotes homosexuality or gender reassignment to anyone under the age of 18.

The nation’s Prime Minister Viktor Orbán, a populist and former professional soccer player, “has been challenging the European consensus ever since he returned to power in 2010: frequently criticizing multiculturalism, curtailing media freedoms, and relentlessly campaigning against the EU itself, portraying Brussels as a modern heir to Soviet Moscow, which dominated Hungary for decades,” Fox News notes.

Orbán is credited with flooding his country’s soccer industry with $2.7 billion by letting a business’s donations to sports clubs replace corporate taxes.

Soccer matches are centers of political controversy for Hungarians, seemingly battlegrounds for citizens to define the nations values. Earlier in the tournament, Hungarian fans booed Irish players who knelt in support of the Black Lives Matter movement.

The fans were supported by Prime Minster Orbán who said “Hungarians only kneel before God, their country, and their lovers.”

He added “politics has no place in sports.”

Ahead of the games in St Petersburg and Baku, the UEFA required sponsor artwork to comply with local laws. Both Russia and Azerbaijan are less liberal than other European counties regarding LGBTQ+ issues.

Volkswagon, a sponsor of Euro 2020, stated “the rainbow boards would be used ‘as a colourful statement of diversity and respect’ at the other quarter-finals in Munich and Rome, and hoped to also use them at the remaining games at Wembley,” according to PA Media.

For corrections, please email corrections@timcast.com

18 responses to “Rainbow-Themed Ads Will Not Be Permitted at Two European Championship Venues”

1. OrangeRoseMeepling says:

I would also be happy if they focused on sport instead on sexuality. I wished companies would stop fetishising my sexuality for cheap PR.

2. EnjoyCoke says:

AYYYYLMAO

3. neilinda says:

Would love to be an editor here… 🙂

4. OrangeRoseMeepling says:

I am a dutch guy, and this was big big news over here as wel. It feels a bit weird, but i dont think Hungry is bad for doing this. I am Bi myself, and i feel more and more like corparetions are just using LGBT as cheap propaganda/PR, and it feels more and more like they are exploiting my sexuality for eazy sympathy. I am slowly but surely like the companies that dont do pride murch or logo’s more then the ones that do. I still am not super dopey that there is no gay marrage in Hunrgy, but I can’t fault them for feeling and voting this way.

• safferthepirate says:

Gay marriage? Sure. Identity obsession… Not a fan. Love who you love but the pandering just feels like a bent knee to a bunch of people who are to obsessed with sexuality to actually fulfill themselves

5. justingault1@outlook.com says:

Just excited to read news again and it being reported instead of opinions. More please.

6. Locke-n-Paine says:

Bravo. Somebody had to have the courage to put the brakes on this woke nonsense in sports. I’ll be damned if I thought it would be Hungary, though…didn’t see that coming.

Notice they’re not accepting anti-rainbow ads either, just resolving to be apolitical. Very rational approach.

• safferthepirate says:

I’m excited to see American athletes get spammed at the Olympic Games when they realize the rest of the world doesn’t look so fondly on protest. Hope that will teach them to appreciate the rights they have here

• JoeVasco72 says:

Don’t be surprised, Hungary is one of a handful of European countries to say no to the wave of Islamic immigration destroying Europe.

Orban is a true hero.

7. bbet says:

Honestly they are not having the flag there for a different reason than I would. It would so nice to escape from all the crap there is in life, and not have some woke ideology on 24/7 while trying to watch movie, game, concert, play a video game, learn in school, etc. It’s just enough. Ethnicities get one holiday. Italians Columbus. Irish St. Pat’s. Black Americans MLK, or Juneteenth. Btw they could have done a solid and instead of having Juneteenth, which isn’t even the last day of slavery and have a commemorative of the ending of the Civil War in which the experience of Black Americans, the abolitionists, and fallen both civilian and solider are remembered..

8. Growler says:

The people of Hungry voted Orban, knowing that he was against immigrants and most of the Woke culture, which Europeans are forced to accept. Germany should accept the culture of other nations and respect them. My parents are German and so are all my uncles, aunts, and grandparents. I usually do not admit this because I am denounced as bing a NAZI and yes all of my relatives fought in the war.

The Germans are being run by corporations that want Global trade. They preach the narrative of the World Economic Forum (WEF) and UN. Most of the world does not ascribe the Woke philosophy.

The right-wing is on the rise in Germany, The AFD Alternative Fur Deutschland party, the right-wing anti-Euro party, got 13% of the vote in 2017, and in 2019 got 23% of the vote. They beat Merkel’s CDU party got 22% of the vote. Germany has many 6 political parties. Once Merkel is gone it is thought that the AFD may rule. The populist rise will mean the pro-WEF social justice cultural values will disappear.

Weisshaus, Weisshaus, Ja dis ist in Amerikanishen Scheisshaus
    Wer lebt in das Weisshaus? Ein grossen Arshloch lebt da jetzt, und das ist wo ein Arschloch solt sein.

• SinicalSaint says:

I agree. The government is trying desperately to camp homosexuals with gender and race and are losing at every turn, yet insist there’s discrimination. What is the end goal? I personally think it’s a diversion to keep people from seeing the globalization of the world to corporate power.

9. UppityG says:

My kingdom for a delete and/or edit button.
    What I meant to say is:
    Good! We all should reject the incessant, smothering demands of the alphabet people to bow to their overtaking of our culture such that everything all day all the fucking time is about them. I used to be much more tolerant of their wishing to be accepted but that’s not good enough for them anymore. Now they want to dominate everyfuckingthing. No. I want normal people who procreate normally to create normal nuclear families to dominate everything as nature intended. Sorry alphabets, you went too far, as usual. Go live whatever kinda life you want, but stop demanding we make it our life too. No.

10. KDiddy says:

I could see keeping the advertisers out. I just can’t imagine them stopping the rain to keep rainbows off the field. I think we can agree that advertisers want to be everywhere you look. And that’s incredibly careless to have all over the place at a sporting event. Yeah, “Let’s fly a Pepsi drone in front of the athletes as they’re running!”
    Kick them all out! I don’t typically watch sports, so maybe I don’t know. It could be much better when Sprint, Puma, and Heineken all have banners around the entire track and I don’t even know. I’m pretty sure, if I did watch, I’d want to see the athletes in their best physical form. Not watch them cross a T-Mobile banner on the third lap. Get, them, out. All advertisements. Why have them? Does Gatorade make you fast? Is that what it is? Does having a NIKE shirt make you break wind like none other? Is that what it is? It must be the electrolytes and tight fitting clothes that make these athletes soooooo damn good at their sport. That’s why I can’t sustain running, not because of my physical form, but because I don’t have tight fitting Nike clothes and a steady drip of colored water.
    The only signs allowed (if it were my world) would be hand made to support the athletes. I mean, unless it’s Power Thirst. That stuff will get you running fast, some would say, “as fast as Kenyans.” That’s fast!

11. UppityG says:

Good! We all should reject the incessant, smothering demands of the alphabet people to bow to their overtaking of our culture such that everything all day all the fucking time. I used to be much more tolerant of their wishing to be accepted but that’s good enough for them anymore. Now they want to dominate everything. No. I want normal people who procreate normally to create normal nuclear families to dominate everything as nature intended. Sorry alphabets, you went too far, as usual.

12. jettcollinsinvb says:

Why are they mad? they are there to watch soccer, not to be politically indoctrinated. You can enjoy the soccer without the political messaging…