Politics /

Nancy Pelosi Calls for Criminal Investigation Over Rep. Paul Gosar's Anime Meme

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi has called for a criminal investigation into Rep. Paul Gosar over an obvious parody meme that the congressman posted on Twitter.

The 81-year-old congresswoman also called for the House Ethics Committee to investigate the meme.

In the video, Gosar’s head is on Attack on Titan character Eren Yaeger’s body from the opening credits of the first season of the show. The congressman fights characters with Democratic New York Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and President Joe Biden’s faces edited onto them.

“Threats of violence against Members of Congress and the President of the United States must not be tolerated,” Pelosi tweeted. She added that House GOP leader Kevin McCarthy should “join in condemning this horrific video and call on the Ethics Committee and law enforcement to investigate.”

Editing the heads of others onto characters from film and television clips is a popular meme format that really took off during the 2016 election.

Ocasio-Cortez responded to the meme by tweeting “so while I was en route to Glasgow, a creepy member I work with who fundraises for Neo-Nazi groups shared a fantasy video of him killing me.” She went on to complain that “institutions don’t protect woc,” meaning “women of color.”

After the Washington Post published an article complaining about the meme, Twitter disabled likes and retweets citing their “hateful conduct policy.” It has since been removed entirely.

Before being removed, the video had been viewed over one million times and had nearly 20,000 “likes.”

Rep. Gosar responded to the outrage over the meme with another one.

You can watch the clip here if you missed it:

Timcast has reached out to Gosar for comment and will update this story if one is provided.

16 responses to “Nancy Pelosi Calls for Criminal Investigation Over Rep. Paul Gosar’s Anime Meme”

1. Devilsgun says:

That old cunt Pelosi should have retired back to her crypt aeons ago

2. dovy says:

You laugh and hold up a meme displaying the severed bloody head of Trump, but you can’t handle it when something so minor as this is produced. Spare me.

3. BubbaJeap says:

Well, looks like Pelosi found her latest “insurrection” to hound on in order to distract from their rolling list of failures and global embarrassments. Wonder if that will include a $24mm investigative body and with hearings.

• FrostedFlakes says:

If they don’t waste my tax dollars on bullshit I’m gonna be pissed. I got myself robbed so they could waste my hard work on political theater and self-enrichment.

4. azathoth43@gmail.com says:

Democrats have become the new Puritan party.

5. Deutscher says:

LET’S GO BRANDON!

6. TuckR8 says:

Pelosi says threats against members of Congress and the President shall not be tolerated. Ironically, I suspect she has a framed copy of the picture showing Kathy Griffin holding Trump’s severed head.

• BubbaJeap says:

Pelosi isn’t upset about this, per se. She is trying to take Rahm Emanuel’s advice to never let a crisis go to waste. Anything to help the Dems leading into the 2022 bloodbath.

7. prcntm says:

While I will admit it’s a little weird that Gosar himself published this, I think it would be going a bit far to say that this was intended as a threat or that it was criminal in any way. It was funny. That was kind of it. Though the fact that those who were displayed as Titans in the clip are so insecure that they automatically assume that this satire conveys literal desires is a bit disconcerting. If you’re not emotionally or mentally stable enough to take a joke, you probably shouldn’t be in a significant leadership role.

8. Poegy says:

Now this is a man who gets it

9. MrTreestan says:

I enjoyed that video far too much…..

10. Fool_Moony says:

SUPRA BASED

11. exactly34 says:

Where can I find the full series? Please make more.

12. Viewtifuljoe says:

This is how the culture war is won, with 88mm meme canons firing on the establishment and their foot soldiers. And thank you Cassandra for including the full clip.

13. ellie says:

What sad little people democrats and progressives are. They are trying to take all humor away. 🤔 Seems so familiar, like I’ve seen this in history before, hmmm.