Mumford & Sons Guitarist Leaves Band After Outrage Over Him Praising Andy Ngo's Book

By Cassandra Fairbanks

Mumford & Sons banjo player and guitarist Winston Marshall has announced that he is leaving the band after sparking outrage from the left for praising right-wing journalist Andy Ngo’s book on Antifa.

Following the intense backlash, Marshall apologized for endorsing the book.

“Over the past few days I have come to better understand the pain caused by the book I endorsed,” Marshall wrote.

“I have offended not only a lot of people I don’t know, but also those closest to me, including my bandmates and for that I am truly sorry,” he added. “As a result of my actions I am taking time away from the band to examine my blindspots. For now, please know that I realize how my endorsements have the potential to be viewed as approvals of hateful, divisive behavior. I apologize, as this was not at all my intention.”

The apology tweet, which was put out in March, has now been deleted.

On Thursday, Marshall wrote a Medium post explaining his decision to leave the band, saying that he wants to be free to speak his mind.

“At the beginning of March I tweeted to American journalist Andy Ngo, author of the New York Times Bestseller, Unmasked. ‘Congratulations @MrAndyNgo. Finally had the time to read your important book. You’re a brave man’. Posting about books had been a theme of my social-media throughout the pandemic. I believed this tweet to be as innocuous as the others. How wrong I turned out to be,” Marshall wrote.

He continued, “over the course of 24 hours it was trending with tens of thousands of angry retweets and comments. I failed to foresee that my commenting on a book critical of the Far-Left could be interpreted as approval of the equally abhorrent Far-Right.”

Marshall wrote that thirteen members of his family were killed in the Holocaust and that him and his family know the dangers of “Fascism” very well. To call him that, as the left did, he said was “ludicrous beyond belief.”

“I’ve had plenty of abuse over the years. I’m a banjo player after all. But this was another level. And, owing to our association, my friends, my bandmates, were getting it too. It took me more than a moment to understand how distressing this was for them,” he wrote. “Despite being four individuals we were, in the eyes of the public, a unity. Furthermore it’s our singer’s name on the tin. That name was being dragged through some pretty ugly accusations, as a result of my tweet. The distress brought to them and their families that weekend I regret very much. I remain sincerely sorry for that. Unintentionally, I had pulled them into a divisive and totemic issue.”

The musician said that though there was pressure to kick him out of the band, they did not, and stood by him.

Marshall issued an apology and thought that it was over with, but he was wrong. He said that another viral mob came after him for apologizing.

After much reflection, Marshall believes that he made a mistake by apologizing.

“I have spent much time reflecting, reading and listening. The truth is that my commenting on a book that documents the extreme Far-Left and their activities is in no way an endorsement of the equally repugnant Far-Right. The truth is that reporting on extremism at the great risk of endangering oneself is unquestionably brave. I also feel that my previous apology in a small way participates in the lie that such extremism does not exist, or worse, is a force for good,” he said.

Ultimately, he believes that leaving the band will allow him to speak his mind without risking others being dragged through the mud of political discourse.

“The only way forward for me is to leave the band. I hope in distancing myself from them I am able to speak my mind without them suffering the consequences,” he concluded. “I leave with love in my heart and I wish those three boys nothing but the best. I have no doubt that their stars will shine long into the future. I will continue my work with Hong Kong Link Up and I look forward to new creative projects as well as speaking and writing on a variety of issues, challenging as they may be.”

For corrections, please email [email protected]

25 responses to “Mumford & Sons Guitarist Leaves Band After Outrage Over Him Praising Andy Ngo’s Book”

1. Roseofsharron says:

I really like Mumford and Sons, but if they arent willing to stand by a member of their own band, im not willing to stand by them. Taking them off my spotify.

2. Yobuyahouse says:

Sad to see him apologize for liking a book about the people who literally shot people running from communism, oh sorry the dumb liberal kids that think antifa was a good thing in East Germany.

3. MattBrown says:

Interesting, as an investor you should already know that there have been issues with the leadership team over at SCNR. There are also possibly legal battles ongoing which he cannot divulge to the public.

Yes, it sucks, but sometimes investments just don’t work out.

4. BikingViking says:

Pussy Rock 101

5. riien87 says:

Welcome to the fight. Do not apologize for critical / free thinking.

6. 51773 says:

True. I am a bit of a cuck… a defrauded cuck

7. 51773 says:

The proof is right here: the Ceo and founder of SCNR / Subverse, Tim, clearly is barely working on (if at all) on anything unrelated to timcast. There has been zero updates since June 2020. Tim grifted a record breaking 1.2 million wefunder by promising the very things that are only being delivered at timcast. Is this not a conflict of interest at the very least? He should step down at SCNR or make it right by giving people their money back (whatever’s left) or the value they invested in the form of subscriptions to timcast.

Just want people to be aware that Tim is a class of grifter above those he accuses of grifting.

8. Element says:

The reason he apologized was not because was not because of the hate that he was getting but rather the hate that was getting directed towards his fellow bandmates. Wanting to take pressure of them because they had nothing to do with his statement is a more understandable reason to issue that apology. Despite that it was still not the best thing to do and it seems he understands that now. I hope to hear his music going forward, either as a solo project or with band mates who are willing to take stands publicly.

9. Tyler5299 says:

Amen

10. zelk62 says:

Free speech from a critical thinker. Your first instincts were sound.
    Much respect for sticking by your principles.

11. Doughppe says:

Cool, now go play in a band that won’t be beholden to the woke-ness industry.

12. rgibbs1980 says:

Sounds like 51773 has a grudge! How many posts do you need to make of the same thing? You have written that on every story. Tim Is doing a great job! We are proud of you and will continue to support! I invested also and definitely don’t feel lied to! Keep up the good work Tim and continue the fight! And P.S. Tim and Ian Jesus loves you even though Ian talks disrespectful about the name of Jesus he went to cross for you even knowing how you would disrespect him! That’s Love man….. if you only knew how much he loves you! God bless!

13. MisterRepublic says:

Was about to criticize him then he turned it around, kind of. He should have out of the gate given them the old Billy Idol middle finger.

14. vagabondancer says:

Grow a pair? Really?! Are you kidding me? He quit fame and fortune to fight wokeness. He easily redeemed himself. He also explained how he felt he put others in danger. Welcome him to the fight.

15. Cat_R_Pillar says:

It’s kind of hilarious though that you’re so mad at Tim over your “investment” that you pay him $10 a month just to tell him

16. Cat_R_Pillar says:

Dude stop spamming every single one of these videos… nobody here cares that your investment didn’t work out (if you even did invest in anything in the first place)… either show us some proof of what the hell you are talking about or leave and stop wasting everyone’s time

17. Feddy_Von_Wigglestein says:

You should have thought about that before apologizing for no reaon, dude. What the fuck. Grow a god damn pair.

18. JRizzo says:

Well adjusted, sane, individualistic, American. All of those will do.

19. 51773 says:

This is really good reporting, it would be great if Tim pool kept the promises he made in the launch video of the record breaking SCNR / Subverse wefunder and delivered this kind of reporting there as well. Maybe then all those investors wouldn’t feel like they were lied to.

20. PolishPierogi says:

RESPECT

21. Tgoney51 says:

Interesting read.

22. zepolkram says:

Fuck yeah, love you bro!!! My full love and support… Cassandra, GIGITTY!!! 🙂

23. RandyMarsh says:

I thought this was gonna be a cringy uh oh I’m sorry guys cancels himself moment. But he turned it around and I’m proud of him

24. Aonavycvn760206 says:

Good for him man, I swear the left just turns people into republicans.. Or shall I say populists/free thinkers… I wrestle with what to call it honestly… How bout just … American