immigration /

TIMCAST EXCLUSIVE: BORDER CRISIS

DHS Secretary Visits South Texas Amid Local Disaster Declaration Due to Migrant Surge

U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) has released an insurgence of migrants into south Texas, forcing the local community to build temporary shelter for the thousands who crossed into the United States from Mexico, according to McAllen Mayor Javier Villalobos who extended his local disaster declaration this week due to the influx of migrants.

Villalobos says he hopes to get federal assistance for the surge of migrants who have no housing, food or transportation. He plans to meet about it with DHS Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas Thursday during his visit to the Rio Grande Valley.

“They pass through to the Rio Grande Valley, through McAllen, through different areas, and then they dispurse throughout the country, so it’s a problem,” said Villalobos. “I don’t call it a border issue. I call it a national immigration issue that should be taken care of in Washington.”

Mayorkas tweeted Wednesday night: “Wheels up for South Texas. @DHSgov is executing our plan to rebuild a safe, orderly, and humane immigration system. Tomorrow, I will receive operational updates on the situation at the border, meet with our frontline workforce, and meet with local officials and community leaders.”

The City of McAllen announced plans for an emergency shelter to accomodate the migrant surge last week. Anzalduas Park was closed to the public, and a camp was set up for migrants who’ve tested positive for COVID-19. A sign at the entrance to the park instructs family members of migrants to call Catholic Charities.

“The three-day total of migrants coming in is 4,123,” said Hidalgo County health authority Ivan Melendez, referring to the asylum seekers admitted into McAllen between August 6 and August 8. “That’s a lot of people. Of those, 688 were positive [for COVID-19]. So you had almost 700 positive people come into the country. That is a rate of 16 percent.”

Since February, 2021, the City of McAllen has seen more than 87,000 migrants pass through, according to city leaders who put out a press release August 4 about the large increase in migrants. While thousands of migrants get sent back across the border after they are apprehended for illegally crossing, thousands more are approved to enter the U.S.

“Right now if you have a family member living in the United States, it’s a green light, everybody knows,” said Melendez. “Uncle Joe says come on over, and you’re gonna get in no questions asked.”

Migrants who are approved to stay in the U.S. often receive a court date with a notice to appear. Border Patrol contracted busses take the migrants to Catholic Charities where many may spend a night and then board a plane to connect with family or sponsors.

Catholic Charities sends migrants to the airport with manila envelops in hand that read: “Please help me. I do not speak English. What plane do I need to take? Thank you for your help!” The other side of the envelope has times and locations for connecting and destination flights.

“Once the federal government — and I mean the Border Patrol — processes them, they are free to go wherever they want to go, and that’s exactly what’s going on,” said Villalobos. “Nobody has authority to stop them. They have freedom to go and move throughout the country like you and I.”

According to Catholic Charities, the migrant families they assist have been released from federal custody and arrive at the McAllen shelter through daily coordination with CBP and the city.

“What happened is Catholic Charities has a capacity of 1,236,” said Villalobos. “They were receiving up to 1,800 immigrants a night. Before, they didn’t have that. Up to a couple of weeks now, that’s why we had to do what we had to do. That’s why we now have a camp at Anzalduas Park.”

CBP’s encounters with migrant families in the Rio Grande Valley have increased by 489 percent this year compared to last, according to the latest data from the federal agency.

But the migrant surge is happening across the southwest border of the United States.

The number of single adults attempting to cross the United States border from Mexico illegally has more than tripled this year compared to last year, and the number of family units and unaccompanied minors more than doubled in the same time period, according to U.S. Customs and Border Protection.

More than a million people attempted to illegally cross the United States border from Mexico but were aprehended or removed between October, 2020, and June 2021, according to U.S. Customs and Border Protection. Those numbers saw their biggest jump in March when monthly enforcement encounters jumped from the 60-thousand per month to well over 100-thousand encounters per month.

“Border Patrol — they take their orders, so someone is allowing it to happen,” said Villalobos. “We’re hoping that something occurs that curtails the movement — stops the flow of immigrants coming in.”

21 responses to “TIMCAST EXCLUSIVE: BORDER CRISIS”

1. ToddHollins says:

Great reporting but can we stop calling them migrants? They are illegal aliens.

2. McLovin says:

Always good having a hot blonde 👱‍♀️ to ask questions.

3. McLovin says:

I am McLovin

4. Happyken says:

5. bcccl says:

bravo to ivory and timcast for doing the factual on-site reporting major outlets refuse to do. this is what journalism should be.

6. Swiftmind says:

Good article. It is a shame is what is going on all over. Constant political battles are destroying the country and allow failures like this to occur.

7. Tempus says:

This was very interesting and well done. Thanks!

8. zmccain says:

Look Kids actual Journalism. Thank you Timcast Team.

9. TheReal_30330 says:

If you like what you see here, 30330.

10. Razeo says:

Its sickening that this is happening. I’m a naturalized citizen & got my citizenship when I was 8 thanks to my hard working mom. The fact that the federal gov’t is willingly letting this happen is mind boggling, then again we’ve been living in a clown world for a few years now so I shouldn’t be surprised.

On a lighter note, this was an awesome read! Glad to see that you’re part of the team Ivory!

11. CryptoZack says:

News article, not opinion. How refreshing!

Well done Ms. Ivory

12. DanielBrownlee says:

Hey ivory, fancy seeing your name on a by line.
    Thank you for your reporting.

13. HayleySmith says:

Glad to see you part of the team Ivory! Tim hiring people with some spine! Ooh rah!!! Semper fi and get er done! 🤘🖤😎 -H

14. UppityG says:

Hecker, good to see you filing here, brava. This is part of what I pay for, original/exclusive reporting, actual journalism. Welcome and looking forward to reading more of your work.

• UppityG says:

On the subject of the article, how the Xiden Admin has purposely sabotaged America with this purposeful demand for as many illegal aliens as possible to cram themselves in through the south border — while rejecting Cuban refugees — is so infuriating that I risk sending my blood pressure into the stratosphere if I really delve into it. So I pace myself. I read this piece — very well-written, nothing superfluous, straight reporting, informative — and now I’ll be avoiding any other reports for the next few days.

15. DanceswithElephants1 says:

I find it incredible that my European family, who are all vaccinated, cannot come to visit due to CoVid, yet we have a wide open border. How do the Progressives explain this? The hypocrisy on CoVid is mind blowing.
    If you’re protesting for BLM, it’s not a super spreader event. If you’re wishing Obama a Happy Birthday, it’s perfectly safe. Wanna go to Church – EEKS! Support Trump at a Rally – YOU HAVE BLOOD ON YOUR HANDS.

Don’t take a vaccination that was delivered by Trump. I don’t trust him. Take the vaccination, delivered by Trump, take the credit and support the science. Trump supports are vaccination hesitant? We now give Trump the credit for the vaccine.

Blacks cannot possibly get ID to vote. Racist. Hang on, a vaccine passport along with a driver’s license to prove it’s you – the right thing to do for everyone’s safety.

Seriously, our Country is run by Clowns, I don’t want to see it destroyed but I think the only way forward is a peaceful divorce – I’m heading to Florida!

16. lilwyverngirl says:

Congratulations to Ivory Hecker! I’m glad you are part of the Timcast news team after what happened to you at Fox 26.

I feel terrible for the local and state municipalities that have to endure the broken border crisis right now and the federal government is just trying to wash their hands of their involvement by blaming other causes. I don’t think Mayorkas is going to do anything but throw blame elsewhere and say they’re doing “the best they can.” Yeah right.

17. Turk_Longwell says:

Hey, Would you look at that, Ivory is now part of the team. Noice!
    Great First Article, Madame.

That Mayorkas dope better do something and soon. Dude, Listen to the darn people doing the work at the border i.e. CBP and those living in the towns. F-ing federal gov’t trash bags.

• DanielBrownlee says:

If you are waiting for anyone in this administration to do anything productive about the border I have some advise for you that I learned in the army. Hope in one hand and shit in the other and let me know which fills up first. Sometimes it’s better to be lucky than good.
      Mayorkas is on such a short lease he probably needs to submit a formal request for a cup of coffee plus he has drank the Kool aid and is living his best life right now.