Education /

A Seattle elementary school has cancelled their Halloween celebration, claiming that black boys, specifically, do not celebrate the holiday.

Benjamin Franklin Day Elementary has held a “Pumpkin Parade” annually, where students can dress up if they choose and enjoy some candy.

In a school newsletter announcing the cancellation, obtained by local station KTTH, they cited “foundational beliefs around equity for our students and families” for ruining Halloween. Instead, they will focus on “thematic units of study about the fall” and review “autumnal artwork.”

“As a school with foundational beliefs around equity for our students and families, we are moving away from our traditional ‘Pumpkin Parade’ event and requesting that students do not come to school in costumes,” the newsletter reads.

“Halloween events create a situation where some students must be excluded for their beliefs, financial status, or life experience,” the newsletter continued. “Costume parties often become an uncomfortable event for many children, and they distract students and staff from learning. Large events create changes in schedules with loud noise levels and crowds. Some students experience over stimulation, while others must deal with complex feelings of exclusion. It’s uncomfortable and upsetting for kids.”

A Seattle Public Schools spokesperson was more specific in their statement to the station.

“At B.F. Day Elementary, there have been discussions about the school’s Pumpkin Parade every year for at least the past five years. The school Racial Equity Team brought the topic up again in September and the members (with staff input) made the recommendation listed in the newsletter post,” the spokesperson told the Jason Rantz Show on KTTH.

The spokesperson claimed, more specifically, that “African American males” are the ones marginalized during the holiday.

“Historically, the Pumpkin Parade marginalizes students of color who do not celebrate the holiday,” the spokesperson claimed. “Specifically, these students have requested to be isolated on campus while the event took place. In alliance with SPS’s unwavering commitment to students of color, specifically African American males, the staff is committed to supplanting the Pumpkin Parade with more inclusive and educational opportunities during the school day.”

Timcast has reached out to the school to inquire about how Halloween marginalizes male students, but not female students. We will update this story if a response is provided.

10 responses to “Seattle School Cancels Halloween Celebration Claiming it Marginalizes Black Boys”

1. thndrbrd says:

I’m actively planning my exit strategy from dumbville.

2. Trajhenkhetlive says:

I agree this is BS. Some of the best costumes cost the least amount of money. I once had to build 2 samurai suits out of cardboard for the 4th grade literature lessons and it came out pretty good. We even had ketchup packets underneath the armor pads to simulate blood flying out of the body during a sword fight. (behind the packets were large pieces of garbage bag to keep the ketchup off us). Funny enough this worked.

I like how before they enacted a major change, they didn’t bother talking with the parents or students about it. I normal think we should have some kind of public school option, but the many years of public school failure can’t be overlooked. Since our tax dollars go into this institution, we should have a bit more say about who gets decision making power.

3. WeaponizedMemes says:

So kids can’t dress up in costumes because of financial status? i.e. they’re too poor? What?

I was poor growing up. You know what I went to school dressed as? A ghost, using an old bedsheet. My mom would draw cat whisters and nose on my sister with her makeup. One year I just painted my face like a skeleton and wore a black long sleeved shirt. All of these were essentially free, and I never had the ‘lamest’ costume.

This is akin to giving every kid – even the losing team – trophies at a sporting event. The next generation is going to be so weak and sensitive because they never have to experience anything that isn’t totally fair.

Banning halloween at school is not protecting marginalized kids; it is hurting them.

4. JasonTM says:

WTF I remember ding this as a kid and remember when the elemwntary kids did the parade walkthrough when I was in High school it was awesome. And really black boys dont celebrate Halloween fucking racist asshats.

5. Bob_W says:

LMAO… Never thought I’d see the day where Woke Atheist’s are doing the work for Christians by cancelling Halloween.

6. BattyGrrl7 says:

Wait, and how is this not super racist and sexist?

I swear CRT has allowed the radical left to embrace their racist-sexist hate, with a word salad to justify it, aka using communist means to destroy tradition.

7. Tlino says:

I hate these people.

8. prcntm says:

I was never that much of a dress-up kind of kid. I barely participated in school costume parties. (One year I went as “HAL” from 2001 A Space Odyssey. It just involved wearing a black t-shirt with a red dot.) But despite my lack of participation I would never ask other students who found enjoyment from such festivities to cease their celebration because I chose not to dress up.

In this article I heard a lot about how the school-board has made this decision, after consulting with the “Racial Equity Team” (we need to have a discussion about that as well) and school staff. Not once in there did I see a quote from a student. Nor did I even see a sentence where they claimed to have asked the students what they wanted. Not even the parents of the students. Not even the student council, which is supposed to be the liaison body between the students and the staff. This makes me believe it has nothing to do with the students at all. This is what the staff want, consequences to the students be damned.

SO? EVERYDAY is Halloween in Seattle ( for the last couple of years anyway). I met a couple Sept. 2020 in DC, at the Franklin Graham Prayer March. They had driven all the way across the North American continent.

10. PadreMortalis says:

As a person that lived in Tacoma, not far from Chaz… I mean, Seattle, they get what they deserve. I’m so glad I no longer live there and back at my home state of Texas.