Olympic Medal Favorite Suspended After Failing Drug Test

By Hannah Claire Brimelow

Sha’Carri Richardson has been suspended from competition for one month, barring her chances at securing a gold medal at the Tokyo Olympics.

The American sprinter secured her spot on the team at U.S.A. Track and Field Olympic Trials after clearing the women’s 100-meter semi-finals in 10.46 seconds and winning the finals with a time of 10.86 seconds.

Richardson, a show-woman in the Usain Bolt mold,” Yahoo! Sports notes, “is just 21-years-old but is the second-fastest woman in the world in the event this year, behind Jamaican star Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce.”

As part of the qualification process, athletes provided urine samples to the United State Anti-Doping Agency. Richard’s sample, provided on June 19, 2021 at the trials in Oregon, came back  was positive for THC.

In a statement online, the USADA said:

The 2021 World Anti-Doping Code newly classifies THC as a “Substance of Abuse” because it is frequently used in society outside the context of sport. If an athlete who tests positive for a Substance of Abuse establishes that their use of the substance occurred out of competition and was unrelated to sport performance, the athlete will receive a three-month sanction. However, if the athlete satisfactorily completes a Substance of Abuse treatment program approved by USADA, the sanction may be further reduced to one month.

In this case, Richardson accepted a one-month period of ineligibility that began on June 28, 2021, the date of her provisional suspension. Richardson’s period of ineligibility was reduced to one month because her use of cannabis occurred out of competition and was unrelated to sport performance, and because she successfully completed a counseling program regarding her use of cannabis. Her one-month period of ineligibility—the minimum allowed under the rules—is the same result as the two other Substance of Abuse cases that USADA has handled since the 2021 Code took effect.”

On Thursday, the Florida-based athlete posted the message “I am human” to her twitter.

In a later statement, she said “I know what I did, I know what I’m supposed to do, what I’m allowed not to do and I still made that decision.”

Richardson’s retroactive disqualification is the latest loss for Team USA. Kahmari Montgomery, a 400 Meter runner, accepted a one-month suspension after testing positive for marijuana.  Paralympic sprinter David Prince accepted a 12-month suspension for doping violations.

Shelby Houlihan, a middle-distance runner with two national records, was banned from the sport for four years following a drug test was positive for nandrolone, a steroid. The punishment, NPR reports, bars her from the 2021 Tokyo Olympics and the 2024 Paris Olympics. Houlihan blamed the test results on a pork burrito she bought at a food truck and plans to appeal the ban.

Nike, Sha’Carri Richardson’s sponsor since 2019, has not made a statement regarding her disqualification.

For corrections, please email corrections@timcast.com

30 responses to “Olympic Medal Favorite Suspended After Failing Drug Test”

1. Blue-236 says:

She knew the risks, and broke the rules. If you piss hot be ready to deal with the heat that comes down on you. If you don’t like it petition to change the rules.

2. Will_Was_Here says:

This is the first sports figure I almost feel bad for, If she owned up to it I respect that as she made no excuses.

I watched one of her races after this news broke and it was impressive.

3. Fifth says:

Really good overview, explains the situation much better than any other source I’ve seen.

4. Abraxas_1191 says:

Hey, I see this misconception that cannabis is a disadvantage for athletes. It isnt, the healing properties of cannabis make working out a lot easier. You still hurt, but you hurt much less. That is an edge whether you would like to see it or not. I personally couldnt care less, I think cannabis should be fine in all sports but the point is to create as fair a balance as possible. So, I’m torn. But ultimately, great article Cassandra. I appreciate news without spin especially on this story.

5. jijawm says:

This would make sense if she was caught using a performance enhancing drug.
    I believe THC is anything but performance enhancing.
    Oh, look! Squirrel!

6. ShiningLightOnShadows says:

Rules are rules and she knew that she broke the rules and I’m glad that she owned up to it and I give her props for being accountable for it and essentially doing her time so she can go on and compete again. So good on her and I wish her luck in the future considering she is an American Olympic Athlete. And nowadays I dont ow if anyone has been to a medical marijuana shop but they do have it down to a science where they have stuff that can give you energy for the day or stuff to help you eat or stuff to help you sleep etc.

7. BeenJammin says:

Marijuana if anything is a handicap !!

8. BeenJammin says:

Marijuana if anything is a handicap

9. JRizzo says:

Why is thc regulated by doping authorities? If you go by the stereotypical side effects of cannabis use, if anything it would give the athlete a disadvantage because it can cause binge eating and laziness.

• PolishPierogi says:

I’m a veteran and I partake in the ole’ mary jane from time to time. It really helps with war related psychological shit. I can’t habitually smoke weed, I lose all of my short term memory and my recall ability is significantly diminished. I turn into a dumbass, and I hate it, I prefer to be ‘sharp’. I also have some kids, so I can’t be a bad example so its for after hours only when I do enjoy it. This woman lost her mother according to her interview and instead of sucking down some xannies she did the right thing. Im torn between my morals telling me that it was a risky move and against the rules and knowing the alternative is a pharmaceutical answer. Which are a lot worse than that pretty little plant. I am talking from experience. “Everything in moderation” people!

10. Damon says:

So stupid. Hate to see her lose out on such an opportunity for such a dumb reason
    My favorite sport (mma) went through this a while back and ended up changing the rule where it’s basically okay to have THC in your system

11. deyshia@gmail.com says:

Refreshing to see an American own their actions rather than playing victim. So much respect for this woman. And damn, is she fast! I hope to see her in Paris.

12. Devilsgun says:

Officials still stuck in full retard about Marijuana I see… pitiful.

But yeah, we can still have a Woke ass woman that turned her back on our flag represent us in the Olympics, no problem there right?

13. TheDarkworld says:

I mean if she can outrun everyone on the ganj let’s see it.

• Kshthymyla says:

Agreed. Don’t olympic athletes party and drink with each other? Things that harm performance should be allowed if the participating countries okay the individuals. Certainly not giving an unfair performance boost.

14. deanno27@ymail.com says:

If I remember correctly, the ufc fighter Nick Diaz faced a 5 year suspension. Maybe the rules need to be amended or changed for sports in general regarding Cbd and Thc if they allow alcohol.

15. RandyMarsh says:

The evil demon women smoking weed. That the devils tool. I feel sorry for those who smoke marijuana. I would recommend taking your pharmaceuticals like a good little pod person. Puff puff pass more like pop pop pop and pass away

16. EnjoyCoke says:

So… if you smoke pot you’re disqualified?
    Why? Is doping mandatory now, or? What am I missing?

17. fuyu says:

I’m a stoner but people need to be responsible for their actions. While I don’t agree that THC should be restricted, she should have known that it would prevent her from participating if she got caught. She took the chance, she’s paying the consequences. I’m not saying she should be, but she knew it could happen.

• RandyMarsh says:

I’d like to think of this as positive activism. Maybe the whole point is she knew she’d be disqualified but it might cause USADA to ease up on weed. Sort of like what nick and Nate Diaz do in UFC

18. KDiddy says:

I am human. I like that

19. DCDave says:

What does the term “show-woman” mean and why is that in the mold of Usain Bolt?

20. Sine_Projection says:

She knew the rules and is taking it in stride no pun intended. Stupid rule but it is what it is.

21. Superwhitt21 says:

Sorry, there is a difference between having a beer or doobie and blood doping and steroid use… Idiots running the show were raised by the hippie generation. In Florida, most of my elderly neighbors are smoking pot instead of taking prescription pills. Big pharma is hated.

22. TheShoogz says:

So THC is a performance enhancing drug and testosterone isn’t. *head scratch*

• Rawdog says:

And Delta 8 THC is legal in 49 states. Guess which state banned it? (I give you a hint, it’s one that is so left it will never get right)

23. UppityG says:

Are we sure “she” isn’t trans? *ponders drag queenish outfittings*

24. Feddy_Von_Wigglestein says:

Just so we’re clear: she can’t smoke pot, but men can put chemicals and fake hormones into themselves and compete with women.