covid-19 /

Nicki Minaj Refused to Get Vaccinated For the Met Gala

The rapper clashed with Twitter users, including Meghan McCain, over her comments

The entertainer, whose legal name is Onika Tanya Maraj-Petty, said she previously contracted COVID-19 while rehearsing for this year’s MTV Video Music Awards and had to be away from her 12-month-old son.

[I]f I get vaccinated it won’t [be] for the Met. It’ll be once I feel I’ve done enough research,” Minaj posted.

“This will be the first Met Gala Minaj has skipped in four consecutive years. In compliance with New York’s ‘Key To NYC’ vaccination rules, all guests attending the gala, which is famously held at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, will be required to be fully vaccinated,” per CBS News

Minaj also expressed anger at news outlets claiming she ignored her real reason for not attending in favor of more flashy headlines.

Minaj followed up her original tweet with an anecdote that she believed explained her hesitation to get the vaccine.

The 38-year-old wrote, “My cousin in Trinidad won’t get the vaccine cuz his friend got it & became impotent. His testicles became swollen. His friend was weeks away from getting married, now the girl called off the wedding. So just pray on it & make sure you’re comfortable with ur decision, not bullied.”

Meghan McCain, the TV personality and former co-host of The View, responded to this post by saying, “That’s entirely enough internet for today.”

According to the Center for Disease Control, there is “currently no evidence that any vaccines, including COVID-19 vaccines, cause fertility problems in women or men.”

NBC News reports, “some of Minaj’s followers replied to the artist, begging her to stop tweeting, claiming both that her anecdotes were bizarre and that the efficacy and safety of the vaccines were already extremely well researched.”

Minaj later posted a poll on Twitter asking her followers which vaccine they recommended.

6 responses to “Nicki Minaj Refused to Get Vaccinated For the Met Gala”

You’re not supposed to inject it into your testicles.

2. Turk_Longwell says:

The Headline is click bait. Come On, Hannah.
    “Rapper Nicki Minaj was not at the Met Gala in New York last night because she was unwilling to get vaccinated.” She never said she is unwilling to get vaccinated. Those words contradict Timcast’s 10AM episode. j/s.

• Chris Karr says:

Always appreciate feedback, Turk_Longwell. However, I don’t see a problem in the reporting here. Minaj wrote on Twitter: “They want you to get vaccinated for the Met. if I get vaccinated it won’t [be] for the Met.” Therefore, it’s accurate to say that she was unwilling to get the vaccine in order to go the Met. Thanks for the reply! –Ed.

• Turk_Longwell says:

Chris, I appreciate your reply, says a lot of you and your leadership. Respect!
        Tim explained the Headline twice and I get it. Make sense. Also, ‘refused’ does mean ‘indicate or show that one is not willing to do something.’ While it does frame the story a certain way, Some guy on the internet who talks into a camera taught me a little bit about framing 😉, it is factual. I stand corrected. I apologize to Hannah.
        If you watch 09/14/2021 Timcast 10AM slot “AOC slammed for attending $30k…..” and go to video mark 18:20 and watch it, you’ll see that “Rapper Nicki Minaj was not at the Met Gala in New York last night because she was unwilling to get vaccinated.” does contradict what Tim is saying in the video. That’s all I was pointing out. Two different “becauses” for why Minaj didn’t go to the Met.
        Again, You are appreciated for being a stand up person. I’m a daily reader and look forward to the daily news drops on the site. Thank you!

• CJS3 says:

While the headline was factually correct, it was not contextually correct. If it had said;
        NM was not at the Met because she refused to get vaxed “FOR” the event, It would have been correct both ways. While Minaj has not ruled out getting the vax, she did rule out getting the vax (post natal) for something as trivial as a party, albeit an elitist party.

3. TuckR8 says:

Welcome to the fight Nicki.