NFL Player Arrested For Domestic Violence

By Hannah Claire Brimelow

NFL corner back Richard Sherman was arrested today on burglary domestic violence charges shortly before 6 A.M. this morning in Washington.

“Police were called at around 2 a.m. after an unidentified person in the residence said an adult male family member was attempting to force his way into a residence where he did not live. Police arrived and struggled with the suspect who reportedly fought with police before being taken into custody. Nobody was injured,” according to a statement from the Redmond Police Department.

Sherman is simultaneously under investigation for his involvement in a hit-and-run. The state’s Department of Transportation says a vehicle involved in a single-car crash early Wednesday morning was found abandoned but when law enforcement ran the car’s registration it came back to Sherman.

According to ESPN,  the 33-year-old “completed his third season with the San Francisco 49ers in 2020 after spending the first seven seasons of his career with the Seattle Seahawks. Sherman also is a vice president of the NFL Players Association’s executive committee.”

The National Football League has chronically struggled to domestic violence.

In August 2014, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell wrote, in a letter to team owners, “Effective immediately violations of the Personal Conduct Policy regarding assault, battery, domestic violence or sexual assault that involve physical force will be subject to a suspension without pay of six games for a first offense, with consideration given to mitigating factors, as well as a longer suspension when circumstances warrant.”

A second domestic violence offense violation would result in a lifetime ban.

Three-days later, San Francisco 49ers’ starting defensive end Ray McDonald was arrested for allegedly attacking his girlfriend, Kendra Scott. He was never suspended.

Months early, in February, Ray Rice was indicted after hitting his fiancée so hard she was knocked unconscious. Security footage showed him dragging her body out on an elevator at the Atlantic City Casino. Rice, a running back for the Baltimore Ravens at the time, received a two-game suspension.

Time noted at the time that Goodell had promised that the NFL would take a serious stand on domestic violence in in 2012.

According to Ranker, over 90 NFL players are known to have been arrested on domestic violence. The National Domestic Violence Hotline’s website praises the NFL for its “multi-million dollar, multi-year commitment” but the exact amount of financial support they provide is not publicly available.

In June of 2020, the NFL announced it would donate $250 million dollars to “ combat systemic racism and support the battle against injustices faced by African Americans,” according to NFL.com

The NFL has not said what consequences Sherman, who is currently a free agent, will face.

For corrections, please email corrections@timcast.com

17 responses to “NFL Player Arrested For Domestic Violence”

1. KingJoey22 says:

Let me guess, some football player beat the shit out of a woman, but it was really white supremacy that beat her ass….

2. IntegratedCrazy says:

Why can’t I view the article?

Yeah, I probably shouldn’t be allowed to access that article. I’ll probably say some well deserved pretty derogatory stuff about him, that will then be extracted onto his entire race by some disingenuous agents, and then I’ll probably get deemed a racist, and then I’ll probably get thrown in Guantanamo Bay with everyone from the Jan 6th stuff. Better I don’t read that article. Thanks for looking out for me, Buddy!

4. cutter says:

I can’t view the story, but even if I could my comment would be the same: Please stop posting tabloid trash and pretending it’s news. The only thing that makes professional sports “relevant” is the insistence of media outlets that they are “relevant.” There’s no reason for anyone to even know this guy’s name, much less care whether he’s a criminal. There are spiders in my garage whose lives are of greater consequence to the world at large than any professional athlete, because at least they eat mosquitos and aren’t simply parasites.

5. Doughppe says:

So far in a nutshell: he got wasted, left the house while she called 911, drove 20 miles north, crashed at a construction site near his in-laws, abandoned his car, walked to his in-laws and tried to get inside in the middle of the night and they call the cops. If you are attempting to break into a family member’s house in WA state it’s apparently considered a DV charge despite not harming them. His father in law is a retired cop and Sherm apparently drank 2 fifths. That’s all I got and all of it might be BS.

6. joea says:

I can’t see this. I think we need to email someone. Sherman probably either had too much to drink or he’s got CTE. Also the 911 operator was a huge c-word on the phone (Commy) to Sherman’s girlfriend. Very rude to someone who was very flustered and panicked

7. fellowshipotr52@gmail.com says:

I’m gonna assume the site is experiencing a little technical difficulties or Tim decided to yank the article for the time being. I highly doubt there is a payment tier system about to be implemented. Tim will lose half his customers in a day and he knows it.

8. Acaspersen says:

Word on the street is he got bit by a K9 officer in Redmond, WA

9. Chellyva says:

Probably just a glitch

10. BFairfax123 says:

So what is it that members are paying for ? If the content is compromised take it down who’s running this site , come on man . You can do better than this .

11. Tlino says:

Imma assume there was some misleading wording in the supposed article. The incident isn’t what most would think. Not great, but the charges lead to speculation. Or is Tim a Sherman stan that wants extra cheddar for the article?

12. Michael_Ashcroft says:

Are youtubing your own channel?

13. HayleySmith says:

Same lol I thought I was cool!!!! 🤦‍♀️👌🤓

14. Moritsune says:

I do not have permission to read this article? Some wonky stuff on the site today?