News /

Democratic gubernatorial candidate Terry McAuliffe abruptly left an interview with a local reporter and snarled at him for not “asking better questions.”

WJLA 7News reporter Nick Minock had interviewed both McAuliffe and the Republican nominee Glenn Youngkin.

While debuting the interviews, WJLA anchor Jonathan Elias told viewers that McAuliffe’s interview was shorter because he had walked out.

“So if you watch those entire interviews on our website, we do want to point out that the Terry McAuliffe interview is shorter than our interview with Glenn Youngkin. That was not by our doing,” Elias told viewers during Tuesday’s evening newscast. “Nick offered both candidates 20 minutes exactly to be fair for the interviews. McAuliffe abruptly ended 7News’ interview after just 10 minutes and told Nick that he should have asked better questions and that Nick should have asked questions 7News viewers care about. That’s what he said.”

The question that seemed to ruffle McAuliffe was when he was asked about a comment he made last month saying that “I don’t think parents should be telling schools what they should teach.”

“So are you saying parents shouldn’t have a voice in their kids’ education?” Minock asked.

“Sure, parents should have a voice. And parents do have a voice,” McAuliffe responded.

“So did you misspeak during that debate?” Minock followed up.

“No!” McAuliffe quickly responded. “I was talking about what we need to do, bringing people together. We have the state boards, we have the board of education and we have the local school boards who are all involved in this process. But the issue is how do we deliver a world class education.”

The reporter went on to ask if McAuliffe would be issuing mandates about how schools should teach, prompting the candidate to attack Youngkin for using “racist dog whistles” while calling for a ban on Critical Race Theory.

“He’s talking about issues that don’t even exist in Virginia and we’ve got to move past that,” McAuliffe said.

Minock went on to ask about how McAuliffe would handle crime and public safety — then vaccine mandates for schools.

“All right, Nick. We are already over time,” a McAuliffe aide can be heard telling the reporter.

“All right, we are over. That’s it. That’s it,” McAuliffe said as he started to walk off. “Hey, I gave you extra time. C’mon man.”

“You should have asked better questions early on. You should have asked questions your viewers care about,” McAuliffe added.

The reporter responded by saying “well, we did.”

10 responses to “McAuliffe Walks Out of Interview, Snarls at Local Reporter for Asking Tough Questions”

1. MontyLalado says:

You honestly came off as a full blow retard just then

2. Masshole says:

The article states that he left after 10 minutes. It also states that he was allowed 20 minutes. I guess we are changing the definition of “early”. And the interview was clearly not over. He left before the interview was over…that is what one could correctly call “early”.

3. Westerland says:

I see now the piece about being given a 20mins interview and walk back my position. I dont know enough to comment on wether he agreed originally to take the full 20mins or not.

I apologize for missing that part. I was going of the interview and at only 8mins in to have the interviewer say I dont have much time left assuming it was supposed to be 20mins total is a bit strange, I expect that at like 15/20mins maybe, but I dont know.

4. Westerland says:

Thank you for the feedback, but I did see that part. Im assuming that by bringing up that portion of the interview that you are disagreeing with my point about “walking out.” If you listen to the full interview and not just the general transcript in the article. You will hear the interviewer at 8:00 say “I know you dont have much time left…”
    This to me changed the context around the interview being cut short by hard questions and just that he wasnt given much time in general.
    Just trying to be objective! I dont at all agree with this man, but that doesnt mean I should let that cloud my judgement

5. Stevenesparza577 says:

I disagree. You missed the part of the article “told Nick that he should have asked better questions and that Nick should have asked questions 7News viewers care about. That’s what he said.”
    He didn’t like the questions being asked so I’m assuming his PR person cut the interview short. Coward

6. Westerland says:

Come on Cassandra Fairbanks! Lets just stick to reporting the facts and not inflate things. Isn’t that what we all dont like about what the mainstream media is doing!? Thats why we come to Timcast for fair and truthful news.

Im glad you linked the video because if I didnt watch it for myself I would have been triggered by your articles title. He didnt “Snarl” and he didnt “walk out” he went overtime and couldnt get any more questions in–big difference!

Please watch the click bait!

7. bigrips77 says:

The reason why his strategy may work is how often he attempts to associate Youngkin with Trump (who is underwater in this state) and call him anti-vax. He’s really going hard to the paint on both points thinking that’ll motivate the democratic base to go to the polls.

8. bigrips77 says:

Worst part is a majority of Virginians may still vote for this guy despite all the juicy softballs he’s lofted in the air for Youngkin’s team to smash. The Commonwealth is lost for good if McAuliffe wins in two weeks – they’re banking on enough people to ignore what he’s said and kneel before Zod.

9. Maiafay says:

Bye, coward. Sorry the reporter asked you to use your brain.

The “narrative” delusion doesn’t stand up well under the questioning of reality. The truth has legs.