Black Lives Matter /

Man Who Traveled to Portland BLM Riots and Threw Molotovs at Police Sentenced to 10 Years in Prison for Attempted Murder

An Indiana man who traveled to Portland during the Black Lives Matter riots in 2020 has been sentenced to ten years in prison for throwing Molotov cocktails at police.

Malik Muhammed of Indianapolis pleaded guilty to 14 felonies charges related to his role in the riots following George Floyd’s death — including attempted murder.

According to a press release from the Multnomah County District Attorney, Muhammed traveled to Oregon with the intent of violently engaging in the protests. The charges stemmed from four separate criminal incidents in September and October.

“On September 5, 2020, Muhammed constructed multiple Molotov cocktails. He then brought those explosive devices, along with baseball bats, to a planned protest event that evening at the East Portland Police Precinct Building. During the event, Muhammed handed out the bats and threw multiple explosive devices in the direction of police officers. One of those devices landed short and caused a fiery explosion which engulfed a fellow protester in flames, causing severe injuries to that person’s legs,” the DA’s statement explained.

Muhammed was charged with assault in the second degree, unlawful manufacture of a destructive device, unlawful possession of a destructive device, and rioting for his actions on this evening.

The second incident took place on September 21, outside the Multnomah County Sheriff’s Office Penumbra Kelly Building.

“During that event, Muhammed threw a lit Molotov cocktail at Portland Police Officers. That explosive device failed to explode and was recovered as evidence. Police examined the large yellow glass growler and located DNA and a Goodwill sticker on the bottle. This evidence along with an extensive investigation was used to identify Muhammed,” the DAs office wrote.

The activist was charged with attempted murder 2 and rioting for the crimes he committed during this incident.

The third incident happened at the Multnomah County Justice Center on September 23, the night the building was lit on fire with inmates inside.

“During the event, a separate protester set the building on fire (See State v. Cyan Bass) and police moved into the area to extinguish the fire. When police advanced, Muhammed threw a Molotov cocktail at the police officers,” the statement says. “This explosive device caused a fiery explosion which narrowly missed multiple officers and caught the clothing of one of the officers on fire.”

Muhammed was also charged with attempted murder 2 and rioting for the crimes he committed on that night.

The final night of crime occurred on October 11, in the area of Directors Park in downtown Portland.

The District Attorney explained that “during this event, Muhammed used a baton to smash the windows of the Oregon Historical Society, Portland State University, and multiple other businesses in the downtown Portland area. During his arrest, Portland Police Officers observed Muhammad attempt to hide a loaded firearm. Officers recovered the gun upon his arrest.

Muhammed was charged with four counts of criminal mischief in the first degree, unlawful possession of a firearm, and rioting for his actions.

In addition to the 10 year prison sentence, the court imposed over $200,000 in restitution.

*For corrections please email [email protected]*