By Cassandra Fairbanks

Monday evening’s episode of Stephen Colbert’s A Late Show caused fireworks across social media, as his guest Jon Stewart mocked people who wrote off the possibility that COVID-19 originated in a Wuhan lab.

The episode was Colbert’s first time hosting the show before a live studio audience since the start of the pandemic, and everyone in the audience was required to be fully vaccinated.

The interview began lightheartedly, as Stewart joked about how people did not properly care for themselves during the pandemic.

“I am so really happy!” Stewart said. “And I know we’re all vaccinated and I’m not going to get COVID, but I’m going to get something. These people did not take good care of themselves during the pandemic.”

The interview took a turn when Colbert asked Stewart for his feelings on the scientific response to COVID.

“So, I will say this—and I honestly mean this—I think we owe a great debt of gratitude to science. Science has, in many ways, helped ease the suffering of this pandemic, which was more than likely caused by science.”

Looking a bit stunned, Colbert asked if he meant “there’s a chance that this was created in a lab?”

“A chance?” Stewart asked. “Oh my god, there’s a novel respiratory coronavirus overtaking Wuhan, China, what do we do? Oh, you know who we could ask? The Wuhan novel respiratory coronavirus lab. The disease is the same name as the lab. That’s just a little too weird!”

Stewart went on to mock the alternate theories about how the outbreak began.

“Uhh, a pangolin kissed a turtle?” Stewart remarked.

Alternatively, he joked, “maybe a bat flew into the cloaca of a turkey and then it sneezed into my chili and now we all have coronavirus?”

Colbert tried multiple times to take back control of the conversation, to no avail.

Instead, Stewart went on to offer an analogy.

“There’s been an outbreak of chocolatey goodness near Hershey, Pennsylvania, what do you think happened? I don’t know, maybe a steam shovel made it with a cocoa bean. Or it’s the f-cking chocolate factory!” Stewart said.

Colbert pushed back on Stewart’s take, arguing that “it could be possible that they have the lab in Wuhan to study the novel coronavirus diseases because in Wuhan there are a lot of coronavirus diseases because of the bat population there.”

Stewart continued to mock the official narratives and explanations, before Colbert finally interjected asking “how long have you worked for Senator Ron Johnson?”

“This is not a conspiracy!” Stewart insisted. “But this is the problem with science. Science is incredible, but they don’t know when to stop and no one in the room with those cats ever goes, ‘I don’t know if we should do that.’ They’re like, ‘curiosity killed the cat, so let’s kill 10,000 cats to find out why.’”

Finally, Stewart walked to the edge of the set and spoke directly into the camera.

“I have been alone so long. And when I realized that the laboratory was having the same name—first name and last name—of the evil that had been plaguing us, I thought to myself, that’s f-cked up.”

Stewart did not let up even after the commercial break, adding, “can I say this about scientists? I love them and they do such good work but they are going to kill us all.”

The explosive segment immediately went viral, with people on the right cheering for Stewart — and the left expressing disappointment in some cases, and extreme anger in others.

“Online leftists seem Big Mad at Jon Stewart for treating the lab leak theory as verrrry plausible (of course it is) on Colbert tonight. They’re deeply committed to the ‘conspiracy theory’ line & notion that thinking/speaking critically about CCP puts Asian Americans in danger,” Townhall’s Republican political editor Guy Benson remarked.

Meanwhile, leftist Canadaland editor Jonathan Goldsbie tweeted, “on the first Late Show back with a full audience, Jon Stewart dives intensely down the COVID lab-leak rabbit hole, rebuffing Colbert’s repeated efforts to save him from himself.”

“US Intelligence. The Secretary of State.  Officials at NIH. Us Senators. A president – All crazy conspiracy theorists,” Spectator contributor Stephen L. Miller wrote. “Jon Stewart – Sh-t now we have to believe the lab leak.”

For corrections, please email [email protected]

54 responses to “Jon Stewart Shocks Stephen Colbert in Rant About a Lab Leak Being the Most Rational Explanation for COVID (VIDEO)”

1. DexterSka says:

It was awesome seeing this make it to the left bubble, but I can’t shake the feeling that Jon was playing a character or else that’s how the left will interpret it. He was acting over the top and he didn’t mention that the bats don’t live in Wuhan. He clearly didn’t look deeply into it.

2. Leonis88 says:

I miss Jon Stuart, he knows how to make me laugh. Also, Congratulations Cassandra.

3. Dasva says:

Great start but how the hell do you find this? The read section link up top leads to nothing the one at the bottom only has the most recent.

I like how you have email to send corrections… but is it like the others and not read? Because I’ve been sending tons of corrections from videos

4. Zack Jordan says:

That was amazing, keep it up Jon!

5. misterbehavior says:

Jon Stewart is the man.

6. phatigued says:

The hershey analogy was a good one, I want to believe the pendulum is swinging back towards sanity as more rational people call them out.. looking forward to more news, thanks Cassandra.

7. Maven says:

Watching Colbert squirm while Stewart was laying out logic was pathetic to say the least. Most of late night has been unwatchable since the changing of the guard but I didn’t know how beholden Colbert is to his corporate overlords. Letterman would never tow the line like that.

Great article Cassandra! Glad you are a part of the Timcast crew and I can’t wait to read more!

8. Bignate says:

Note how Fauchi is on Colbert tonight. That is to offset the embarrassment of Jon Stewart tearing their joke myths to shreds.
    I miss Jon Stewart so much more after watching that clip.

9. BillH says:

The clip is on the official Colbert YouTube site. It has not been pulled. They want this out there. I’m telling you, I’m like 100% on this one.

10. Aesatidlam says:

Interesting point

11. Mbarstow07 says:

I need a like button. 🥳

12. DavidM says:

Yes! Congratulations Cassandra! You rock sister friend!

13. BillH says:

Maybe we’re looking at this wrong. What if having Jon Stewart come on and talk about how “obvious” it is, is actually a way to let leftists actually talk about it without getting banned? Maybe it’s a way to make it at least plausible to the mainstream. Now that Trump is gone, they don’t need to hide the lab leak anymore and it’s going to go mainstream. “Well Jon said so! It’s obvious!” Their news messiah has returned.

14. Bart says:

I could not agree more

15. SirPhoenixKnight says:

Congratz Cassandra

16. Zelten_027 says:

Congrats Cassandra! Maybe Stewart watches Tim’s content considering he’s going against the narrative and his tie is the Timcast colors. lol

17. Worm says:

Can’t think of a better EIC. This is just the beginning, Great things to come and please continue to guest on IRL from time to time if you can manage it. Love ya Cass, now be great like you were born to be.

18. Mizati says:

Congratulations Cassandra!

19. MontyLalado says:

Jon Stewart (aong with Craig Ferguson) is late night royalty

And the only way you will ever get me sharing your videos is if you quit the milquetoast shit Tim, grow a spine and take a stand for something for once, nobody knows 55 people who have died in mysterious circumstances you dolt

20. Vashts1985 says:

finally a real late night host.

21. jayoQ2 says:

It would seem wise to investigate the chocolate factory….

22. MissMary says:

Don’t lump Gen X in with Boomers. We are not the same.

23. Turk_Longwell says:

Oh yeah, I dig me some of those rainbow twizzlers and esp. the twizzlers filled with fruit flavors.

24. MassSkeptic says:

Let’s start with an assumption that the disease is lab created. I can see China being concerned about having to take responsibility for the creation of a new disease that killed almost 4 million people that they use every propaganda tool at their defense to prevent them from having to take this responsibility on their plates. If it did come from a lab I can see China facing sanctions, lawsuits, crimes against humanity, etc. Causing the deaths of 4 million people worldwide is on par with a major military conflict or war. The cost of reparations would be high and China would face the responsibility or face being ostracized.

25. noktirnal.rambler420 says:

Jon is the GOAT

26. kauch_potato says:

Stephen Colbert is a such a knob, proud of John Stewart for being relatively graceful in his delivery as his “friend” continued to hurl subtle jabs at his way of thinking about it. Colbert not Trevor Noah will ever amount to John Stewart’s level of swag

27. Pyro says:

I laughed so hard. This is perfect for getting the Democrat Gen-X and Boomers to actually think about what is truly going on.

28. You go, girl! So glad Tim has expanded. Been following since occupy Wall Street.

29. Jonescrusher says:

Congratulations Cassandra. You are a key player in the future of journalism….. Don’t fuck it up.

I have full faith in you and can’t wait to see your impact.

30. RichieRich3 says:

Always have and always will love Jon Stewart!! Colbert brining up Ron Johnson in the end is ridiculous and yet another reminder that Colbert is a patsy douche!!

31. riien87 says:

gotta say, it’s pretty great seeing how allergic Colbert is to based theories from Stewart. He fails multiple times to get back control of the convo lol.

32. Fernando says:

I’ve always wondered if Jon Stewart had kept doing his show would shit be as bad as they are to day.

33. zepolkram says:

Yep, love him or hate him, John Stewart is rational and methodical in his approach here with Colbert. If you have not seen his movie IRRESISTIBLE, you need to watch it. Explains a great deal about our political class in only the way John Stewart knows how to projectile-vomit it to us.

34. Turk_Longwell says:

The Left changed a lot, Fren. A lot. From what they believed, what I believed, 20 years ago to today is nothing like was back in the 90s and before.

35. I do as well. Though I’m hoping for it to rain Twizzlers.

36. Turk_Longwell says:

I live 30 mins from Hershey… I pray for an outbreak of Chocolatey Goodness. lol.
    Hershey is a beautiful little city.

37. Turk_Longwell says:

It’s pretty cool watching Tim do a segment read based on an article from Timcast.com’s Newsroom, written by Cassandra. Go Team!

38. GovernmentIsRape says:

Jon Stewart just said what you agreed with, he wasn’t honest.
    The left didn’t change, they just got more influence in the ruling class.

39. Scott.Davis.ok91 says:

Jon Stewart has always struck me as being an honest person, and I’m glad he’s still going against the mainstream talking points. It wouldn’t surprise me if Colbert knew what he was going to say beforehand, and still brought him on. I wonder how much the left wing shills are in golden handcuffs, and actually want to say something. I’m probably being ridiculously generous to them.

40. RaneyNickel says:

I’m here to give congratulations to Cassandra and give my thanks for the addition of *actual* news to Timcast.com!

41. Rockermom96 says:

Win, win for TimPoole media Corp.! Welcome aboard Cassandra. This is what is needed in the USA: honest journalism, not fake news.

42. Rock_N_R0b says:

Nice to see these reports!! Thanks Cassandra, Tim and Cru3

43. omegahunter9 says:

Amazing. The value of this subscription went way up. This is good reporting.

44. Finecast says:

The Cassandra Fairbanks?! I love my membership even more now!!!!

45. ian_woods says:

welcome Cassandra. Good luck as E.I.C.

46. Hthrbeach says:

Cassandra!!!! Congrats!!!!

47. axegarden says:

I assume that when Jon is thanking “science” that what he really means is he’s thanking Fauci. lol

48. Jdbfortney says:

I was hoping for MORE Cassandra!!!
    Welcome

49. Smitty says:

This is awesome!!! Glad to see it up and running.

And Cassandra is writing the articles!? Awesome

50. ZyprexaDaddy says:

… and Cassandra!

51. JRPatriot says:

Cool to see Cass writing articles for the site. It is interesting that Jon Stewart was so truthful and honest. At least some people are coming to their senses.

52. ZyprexaDaddy says:

Tim, what a relief I now have somewhere to go for entertainment and credible, uncensored news. Thanks dude!

53. Brewerswife says: