WTF /

Grimes Doesn’t Identify With Moniker 'Mom,' Son Calls Her by First Name

Grimes shares one-year-old X Æ A-Xii with partner Elon Musk

Instead of “mom,” Grimes’ one-year-old son calls her by her legal first name.

The Canadian singer, born Claire Elise Boucher, told Vogue that her son X Æ A-Xii can sense her aversion to the term.

“Being a mother feels weird to say. For some reason, I don’t identify with that word. Which is also really weird, because X, he says Claire, but he doesn’t say Mama,” Grimes said. “Maybe he can sense my distaste for the word ‘mother.’ Which I don’t even know why I have a distaste for it … I just can’t identify with it, weirdly.”

Grimes shares her son, who was born in May of 2020, with Tesla founder Elon Musk. His unusual name immediately caught the internet’s attention.

The couple did have to change the end of the child’s name from “12” to “Xii” to meet California’s standards. State law does not allow for numbers in names so the couple switched to Roman numerals instead.

The tech billionaire told Joe Rogan during an interview on his podcast that they pronounce the name “X Ash A Twelve.”

“My partner is the one who mostly came up with the name,” Musk said. “Yeah, she is great at names.”

Grimes is not the only modern parent to prefer that her child uses her first name rather than ‘mom,’ ‘mommy’ or ‘mama.’

Babble contributor wrote that her 10-year-old and 13-year-old switched to calling her by her initials or her first name.

I don’t feel that being called by my first name diminishes the fact that I am my children’s mother at all. Despite what some people may suspect, to me it does not imply a lesser love, alienation, or a lack of respect,” she wrote in a 2012 piece explaining her experience.

“When my kids call me by my first name, they acknowledge that I am a person with a life that extends beyond caring for their needs. They recognize how I relate to the world outside of my role as a mother, and I just can’t see that as anything but a good thing.”

In 2019, parenting publication Romper put together a list of alternatives to the terms ‘mom’ and ‘dad’ for LGBTQ parents and “parents who don’t identify with either.”

“I think having a baby was like a big rebirth for me, like artistically,” Grimes told Vogue as she prepared for the Met Gala.

Elon Musk and Grimes made their first public appearance as a couple at the 2018 Met Gala.

17 responses to “Grimes Doesn’t Identify With Moniker ‘Mom,’ Son Calls Her by First Name”

1. PolishMP731 says:

Elitists like this truly represent the ‘Capitol’ from The Hunger Games.

2. danb40 says:

The topic title for this is perfect!

I don’t care how YOU identify. I identify you as I wish to because I am a free and sentient being. You do not get to control me. And I identify you as, “That Grimes Bitch”.

4. Will_Was_Here says:

I was wonder who this was and how it’s new and see in the final line she is with Elon Musk.

Still don’t think it’s news.

5. Dude05 says:

Not news. Come on Timcast…

6. CNN_sucks says:

not news. cancel culture or lifestyle section. who cares

7. VannicWolf says:

Why is this news? It is even news? I don’t think so. Why is it on Timcast? I’m confused.

8. s.sand@t-online.de says:

He is smart indeed. He senses that she gave him a weird name. No mom would do that. He is gonna thank her with his own weird pronoun.

Btw: she looks like X Æ A-Xii.1 in this picture.

9. Marcos says:

The kid must be smart if he can talk at 1 year old.

“Partner”… This world…

10. Devilsgun says:

I too love freaky chicks (Goth chicks FTW) so props to Elon for getting the good stuff but I would never breed one or expect anything but a passing disaster from them. Same goes for modern ’empowered’ urban/suburban women, though… Rural women in general deserve a lot more solid and stable a guy than I am

11. prcntm says:

Go figure: The child whose name was used for free media attention by his parents is also being utilized as a prop for continued free media attention rather than being properly raised.

In a way it makes sense. Elon is a billionaire. He got that way through marketing genius. Of course he’d see his son as a tool for future marketing rather than a human being. I was kind of hoping for at least one of his parents would be a normal parent… well, normal-ish parent.

At least he’ll be able to afford all the therapy when he finally realizes almost nothing his parents ever did for him was done out of love. (God, I really hope I’m wrong about this statement.)

Hmmm… that’s ironic, I don’t cal her “mom” either, I call her “that Commie Fucking Bitch”

13. Anni says:

I may have to throw my granddaughters over the wall into Mexico. This part of the Continent is disgustingly creepy with an IQ of why bother.

14. UppityG says:

Some of the most selfish, self-centered, self-indulgent, self-aggrandizing carbon based units with far too much money. Condolences to them now for their child’s future suicide.

15. parapraxis says:

Seems like something to talk to a therapist about rather than in an interview. I suppose she thinks it is really deep, interesting, and enlightened somehow.

Looking at that pic, I can’t figure what IT is or how it might “relate to the world” either. So maybe the confusion is understandable .

17. NeverMetTheGuy says:

The wife of the guy that can single handedly manipulate crypto is gonna be one of those parents? It’s not going to be fun watching what’s going to happen to this poor kid early in life.