Germany Gymnasts Sport Full-Length Uniforms in Opposition to ‘Sexulization’

The German team will compete in sleeveless, leg-covering unitards during the 2021 Tokyo Olympics

German gymnasts competing at the Olympics will forgo traditional leotards in favor of leg-coving unitards.

Several team members posted photos of their new uniform at a practice on Thursday with 21-year-old Pauline Schaefer asking in her caption “How do you like our new outfit?”

The team first wore the unitards at the European Artistic Gymnastics Championships.

The gymnasts opted for the more conservative outfit as a stand against the ‘sexualization in gymnastics, especially in the wake of the sexual abuse scandals that have rocked the industry, the German gymnastics federation told BBC.

Gymnastics was rocked in recent years by the revelations that team doctor Larry Nassar had sexually abused hundreds of female athletes for over a decade.

“Olympians, national team members, the other 500 plus survivors of Nassar and predatory coaches are still waiting for USA Gymnastics to be held accountable. Instead, critics charge, the national governing body, dominated for years by marketing personnel and attorneys, still clings to a mindset that prioritizes medals and money (and concerns about legal liability) over athlete safety,” according to the East Bay Times

When asked during an interview with public broadcaster ZDF about her decision to wear a unitard, German Gymnast Sarah Voss said “We women all want to feel good in our skin.”

“In the sport of gymnastics, it gets harder and harder as you grow out of your child’s body. As a little girl, I didn’t see the tight gym outfits as such a big deal. But when puberty began, when my period came, I began feeling increasingly uncomfortable,” she said.

Olympic teammate Elisabeth Seitz said everyone trained in full-body outfits and then at one point asked themselves why they should not do the same in competition, per the BBC.

At the London Olympics in 2012, the Amateur International Boxing Association’s suggestion that female competitors wear skirts to distinguish them from men was denounced as a “disgrace” by Irish world champion Katie Taylor.

That was the same year “several Muslim nations sent their first female athletes to the Olympics in modest uniforms,” said Refinery29. Several sports, including weightlifting, judo, and track, have all had to navigate how modest uniforms and headscarves impact safety and integrity concerns.

The 2021 Tokyo Olympics begin Friday, July 23, and will close on August 8.

For corrections, please email corrections@timcast.com

36 responses to “Germany Gymnasts Sport Full-Length Uniforms in Opposition to ‘Sexulization’”

You can’t stop me, I can still beat off to that. I’m in TRT.

2. Lilia0088 says:

“Sexualization”. Copy editor?

3. renowell says:

Ok with me. Wonder how many date a guy under six feet tall?

4. Riggs says:

Spandex is spandex…if it were flesh colored I would think they were nude at a glance….So what did they gain?

• Skynet0225 says:

They signaled how virtuous and better than you they are at heart. Honestly, how could you miss such obvious 21st century woke-ist piety?

5. UppityG says:

Good for them. When young ladies choose to keep some of themselves a mystery, men respect it.

Just remember ladies: this was your idea. Ok?

Because years from now, your daughters are very likely to challenge you on it and ask “But what’s wrong with showing my legs?!” And if you don’t explain it to them correctly, guess what? They’ll defy you and show their legs and then some.

Unlike previous generations, there are now historical records all over the damn place, but most readily available on these fancy interwebs. So if you need to do a show-n-tell to clue them in such that they get that “a-ha!” moment, do it. Because you’ll be saving them most of all from a lot of self-inflicted misery and irreversible life-long consequences.

I’ve been wondering when the world would find the equilibrium between women insisting on being all slutted up, draped only in glittery strings and those kitted up tomb-ready.

6. EmperorReno1st says:

They’re skin-tight tho so…..

7. dhar says:

Ah, another fine idea from the crowd that never heard the words “less is more”. Not going to watch anyway though so meh.

8. KMerckCPA says:

Good for them at least somebody actually cares about modesty nowadays.

9. RichardNixon says:

When I was in track and field in HS I was uncomfortable wearing the very short shorts in the beginning. But it didn’t take long before I felt fine in them. If I insisted in the beginning to force the school to allow me to wear shorts to my knee, they would’ve gotten in the way especially in the high jump and hurdles.
    I don’t really have a point here, just putting it out there.

10. StMyles2 says:

🤷🏻‍♂️…. Happy for them. If they can do the flip flop, Hip Hop, Bounce and Balance without it bothering them it’s all good. Its not like I wanna get laid by them. I’m still amazed how they do those quadruple spinny what-ma-call-it’s and land on their feet… 😳.

11. jhoust says:

“Women’s uniforms have been hotly debated in recent years. Yahoo!Sports points out “the Norwegian women’s handball team made headlines by refusing to wear the bikini bottoms mandated by the European Handball Federation. Conversely, a Paralympic athlete called out an official at the English championships for complaining that her shorts were too revealing.”

If the teams are complaining about it, they shouldn’t be forced to wear it. If that’s what makes them feel comfortable in front of millions of people, that’s what they should wear.

There is no issue here, don’t even know why it’s featured.

12. Whatnofish says:

strange ,but their private Instagram pages doesn’t show the same amount of modesty. politics in sports is a bad idea, Rainbow flags and BLM protests allowed i wonder if the same would be allowed for those with other views?

13. jagular27 says:

Their head, face, neck and ankles are still uncovered. Talk about slutty!

14. Dannyg says:

Lmao yes! Nothing sexy about spandex!

15. Devilsgun says:

This is not bad at all

16. Jellofishi says:

so sexy 🙂

17. Jonny84 says:

My first thought was, “that’s a weird thing to worry about”. My second and final thought is “good, hopefully the tides are changing and politics is shifting”.

18. Heartlandsoul says:

Oh my gosh- modesty helps women feel more comfortable in their skin and less sexualized!?😳😂 Who knew!?

19. Masshole says:

Jokes on them! They’re still all super freakin hot!

20. SunnyZ says:

Couldn’t get me to watch the olympics if they were nude nor in full burka.

Trying to hide their penises.

22. TheDarkworld says:

Me over here looking at that eagle: Third Reich much?

23. WolffsTeeth says:

I really hope their politics also follow their actions. Modest women show the world they respect themselves first and foremost. That’s an excellent quality to have.