Donald Rumsfeld, Former U.S. Defense Secretary, Dies at 88

By Hannah Claire Brimelow

Politician, businessman, and former U.S. Defense Secretary Donald Henry Rumsfeld died on June 29th, 2021.

Rumsfeld’s controversial legacy notoriously includes his role as an architect of America’s wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

According to NPR, “his post-9/11 strategy has become one of the hallmarks of U.S. foreign policy, and the bloody trail left in the wake of the 2000s invasions has left some to remember him as a skilled statesman, while others have blamed these interventions as responsible for destabilizing the region and roping American soldiers into seemingly endless war.”

Rumsfeld had the second longest tenure as defense secretary, serving from 1975 to 1977 under President Gerald Ford and from 2001 to 2006 under President George W. Bush. In addition, he also served as Gerald Ford’s Chief of Staff.

“Rumsfeld was known for imperious treatment of some military officers and members of Congress and infighting with other members of the Bush team, including Secretary of State Colin Powell. He also alienated U.S. allies in Europe,” Reuters reports.

“With Rumsfeld in charge, U.S. forces swiftly toppled Iraqi President Saddam Hussein but failed to maintain law and order in the aftermath, and Iraq descended into chaos with a bloody insurgency and violence between Sunni and Shi’ite Muslims. U.S. troops remained in Iraq until 2011, long after he left his post.”

Following public outrage over the Iraq war and criticism of his possible mistreatment of suspected terrorists being questioned at Guantanamo Bay, Rumsfeld resigned his post in 2006.

Public reaction to Rumsfeld’s passing has been expectedly mixed.

David Corn, an MSNBC analyst, said on Twitter “Any obituary of Donald Rumsfeld that doesn’t specifically state that he shared responsibility for a misguided war that resulted in the deaths of 4000 American GIs and 200,000 or more Iraqi civilians is journalistic malfeasance.”

Others shared more openly hostile sentiments.

President Bush said of his late Defense Secretary “All his life, he was good-humored and big-hearted, and he treasured his family above all else. Laura and I are very sorry to learn of Don’s passing, and we send our deepest sympathy to Joyce and their children. We mourn an exemplary public servant and a very good man.”

Republican Leader Mitch McConnel released a statement calling Rumsfeld “an American patriot who served his country honorably and tirelessly.”

Born July 9th, 1932 in Chicago, Illinois, Donald Rumsfeld was an Ivy League athlete and a veteran of the United States Navy. He joined the Washington, D.C. political scene in the 1950s before later serving Illinois in Congress for four terms. In addition to his work with Ford and Bush, He also served in the Nixon administration.

“It is with deep sadness that we share the news of the passing of Donald Rumsfeld, an American statesman and devoted husband, father, grandfather and great grandfather,” a statement from his family said. “At 88, he was surrounded by family in his beloved Taos, New Mexico.”

The cause of death is multiple myeloma, a type of bone marrow cancer.

18 responses to “Donald Rumsfeld, Former U.S. Defense Secretary, Dies at 88”

That’s a big get for Satan

2. Bigly12025 says:

It’s always a good day when a member of the deep state dies.

This man orchestrated 9/11 and lied about WMDs to start a war. He was one of the most evil people whom ever lived.

4. UppityG says:

When I was young and hot headed, I too would speak ill of the dead whom I despised while alive. I was confident I knew everything about them that I needed to know and therefore they were well deserving of my scorn. Now that I’ve been living with a severely compromised corporate legacy media for over four decades, and knowing that all people are complex creatures with many layers of character and experiences, and knowing that, just like me, they have a back story, I will not denounce Rumsfeld. He was human and not only did he make mistakes, he also served America to the best of his ability, trying to do what he thought was right and what he was paid to do.

This business of newer, younger generations, standing around pointing their cancellation fingers at their parents and grandparents is not a sign of an improving society, not a sign of becoming more compassionate, not a sign of being more wise. It’s a sign that Mao’s version of communism is becoming more popular, not less. And that is extremely troubling.

One day It will be turned against the young when they get older and by then, everyone who once lived before the cancellation time and knew how to live a cancel-free life, will be gone.

5. KevJ64 says:

I was never a fan of the Cheney/Rumsfeld duo. Both of them sold their souls to the War Machine.

6. adamelawrence80 says:

An evil man is worm bait…the world is a better place today.

7. roflo1804 says:

I bet somewhere in hell the devil is squealing with glee at his new arrival.

8. BethanyJM23 says:

His own personal WHITE Jessssus & he are havin’ a chat, yah? It’s never a sad day when a war criminal dies. God bless ‘Merica🇺🇸💰🇺🇸💰🇺🇸

9. YeghiaElvis says:

I hope he’s burning in Hell. I spit on his grave.

10. FREErin77 says:

THANK GOODNESS HE’LL NEVER BE PRESIDENT!!!

11. MontyLalado says:

I know what Jocko would say

GOOD

12. KDiddy says:

It’s all too easy to criticize someone’s choices afterwards. I don’t think I would’ve been any better in that role.

• KermodeBear says:

Hindsight is always 20/20. When you’re at the top you have to deal with all of the very difficult decisions, and no matter what you decide people will be angry. Sometimes there’s no good answer. It’s not something I’d ever want to do.

13. cutter says:

Whatever his faults, I’d take Rumsfeld over any other SecDef from the past 30 years. He had a sort of Dr. Strangelove thing going on that I always found entertaining.

14. EDubya says:

Remember Pat Tillman. Maybe now they can meet in the afterlife.

15. MaineWolf says:

Rumsfeld was worth 200 million and I bet that is an understatement. Its sad when anyone dies but was he a patriot or a war machine cog?

• MaineWolf says:

I wonder how they will dodge estate taxes on that net worth. I mean I’m sure politicians and the wealthy have ways around it, unlike the rest of us plebs.