News /

CDC Reissues Eviction Moratorium After It Was Ruled Unconstitutional

On Tuesday, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reissued a nationwide eviction moratorium after President Biden said it will likely not “pass constitutional muster.” However, during the time it takes the courts to strike it down, it will “give some additional time” to those choosing not to pay rent.

“Well, look, the courts made it clear that the existing moratorium was not constitutional; it wouldn’t stand,” Biden said, referring to the June Supreme Court ruling that the CDC did not have the authority to issue an eviction moratorium.

Bided later added, “The bulk of the constitutional scholarship says that it’s not likely to pass constitutional muster. Number one. But there are several key scholars who think that it may and it’s worth the effort. But the present — you could not — the Court has already ruled on the present eviction moratorium.”

“I asked the CDC to go back and consider other options that may be available to them,” Biden said. “You’re going to hear from them what those other options are.”

“I have been informed they’re about to make a judgment as to potential other options,” Biden continued. “Whether that option will pass constitutional measure with this administration, I can’t tell you. I don’t know. There are a few scholars who say it will and others who say it’s not likely to.”

“But, at a minimum, by the time it gets litigated, it will probably give some additional time while we’re getting that $45 billion out to people who are, in fact, behind in the rent and don’t have the money,” Biden said, admitting that his overstep of constitutional boundaries was premeditated and deliberate.

In June, the Supreme Court ruled that the CDC “exceeded its existing statutory authority by issuing a nationwide eviction moratorium … clear and specific congressional authorization (via new legislation) would be necessary for the CDC to extend the moratorium past July 31.”

After an extension for the moratorium failed to receive enough votes in Congress last week, the CDC went ahead and issued a nationwide eviction moratorium. On Wednesday, CDC Director Rochelle Walensky announced on Twitter that she had “signed an eviction moratorium for US counties experiencing substantial & high levels of [COVID-19] transmission.” 83% of counties fall under that standard, according to CDC data.

10 responses to “CDC Reissues Eviction Moratorium After It Was Ruled Unconstitutional”

1. TheDarkworld says:

Time to stop paying taxes and just say no.

2. munchhasen says:

A few days ago literally like a day or two after the Supreme Court non ruling. The lower court i think it was the 6th circuit Court unanimously by a 3 -0 ruling said the memorandum was unconstitutional. U believe they will rapidly get rulings across the country. Just like Michael Jordan allegedly said Republicans buy sneakers too. Rich Democrats are also landlords.

If it isn’t legal, doesn’t that make it a crime? Can’t we charge them with abuse of power?

4. TexasBulldog74 says:

My parents passed away and i was left their house. I already have a nice home of my own a few miles away and rented it out. The family during the shut down has been renting that house from me for the last 4 years and never once had a single problem with them. The husband was a good guy (before the shut down), he helped around the house and because he was handy and didn’t mind upgrading stuff if they needed replacement (That i purchased), not once in 4 years did I raise the rent. It was to the point I was very aware I could of easily made at least an extra 500-800/mo but they were nice, rent was paid and they were fairly self sufficient so it was convenient and it was just easier to make less profit for less headache.

Then the shut down happened. He never stopped working and about 3-4mo in his wife picked up a part time job (Door dash) and they just stopped paying. I tried speaking with them many times but they would dodge me or give excuses as to why they couldn’t pay me. I asked them to put forth some effort and we would work it out when things got back to “Normal” and NOTHING, not a single penny for a 13months. I couldn’t kick them out under the law so I ended up selling the house to an agency who didn’t have to uphold the rental protections since they did not have a contract with the renters.

Every now and then I feel bad but then I remember that I did all I could to work with them and they didn’t put forth the slightest. I wish I didn’t have to sell the house but property taxes aren’t cheap, I still had to upkeep the house as the landlord.

Im sure there are a lot of good people out there but a lot of people simply took advantage. I’ll never rent to anyone ever again. The CDC screwed me and I can only charges get brought up on all that who knowingly decided to break the law and extend it further.

5. Soldiermedic says:

Lemme get this straight…..The CDC is issuing national policy????? What the ACTUAL fuck gives them the authority?

6. MadManTV says:

If the Supreme Court ruled that the CDC doesn’t have authority to issue a moritorium than they don’t need to elaborate. The order from the CDC is void.

7. Masshole says:

This is absolutely terrifying. The fact that we managed to “elect” a person who would do something like this in the first place is bad enough, but now that its happening in real time I actually don’t know what to expect next.

8. shadowx717 says:

If there isn’t a response to this SCOTUS basically becomes a non-entity. Who would care about their rulings if it’s known the government will do whatever they want regardless? By doing what he’s doing so blatantly Biden will erode the authority of the SCOTUS from now on if the order his branch did isn’t stopped.

9. UppityG says:

When our govt officials at the highest level flout the law, flout the SCOTUS ruling, I would hope that SCOTUS would be so offended by the spit in their faces that they’d fast-track whatever action is brought to kill this illegal work-around. The CDC and POTUS have seriously eroded their legitimacy and credibility in the eyes of millions around the world.

We had better find a way to restrict the usage of the Executive Order and to make un-Constitutional the use of any “orders” from the CDC, or anyone else, that compel an entire nation to act against itself. The Emergency Powers currently used by state governors have also been severely misused more than once. Cf. Katrina.

It is long overdue for us to hold an Article V Convention. Long overdue.

10. riien87 says:

I don’t recall voting for CDC Director…