Advocacy /

Black Lives Matter Backs Jussie Smollett After Guilty Verdict

'We can never believe police, especially the CPD,' BLM said

Black Lives Matter threw its support behind actor Jussie Smollet after he was found guilty by a Chicago jury.

The former Empire cast member was convicted of five counts of disorderly conduct including lying to the police about being the victim of a hate crime in January of 2019. He staged the attack, paying two brothers he knew, and falsely describing them as white Trump supporters. The actor pled not guilty, denying the attack was staged.

For each of the class four felonies, Smollett could serve three years in prison.

Special prosecutor Dan Webb told the jury that Smollett caused the Chicago police to spend enormous resources investigating a crime that they believe to have been faked,” says CNBC. “The decision came after nearly 10 hours of deliberation spread across two days from a panel of six men and six women.”

Following the verdict, BLM released a statement declaring the actor had its full support.

Melina Abdullah, a leader of BLM Los Angeles, said the organization “refuses to abandon its people and stands on the principle that the justice system is corrupt,” per TMZ.

Abdullah is a former professor at California State University who co-founded the LA branch of BLM. She is also a director of a Defund the Police group. She called the Chicago trial a “white supremacist charade.”

In a statement posted to the BLM website, she wrote:

In an abolitionist society, this trial would not be taking place, and our communities would not have to fight and suffer to prove our worth. … We can never believe police, especially the Chicago Police Department (CPD) over Jussie Smollett, a Black man who has been courageously present, visible, and vocal in the struggle for Black freedom. While policing at-large is an irredeemable institution, CPD is notorious for its long and deep history of corruption, racism, and brutality.

Police lie and Chicago police lie especially.

“Black Lives Matter will continue to work towards the abolition of police and every unjust system. We will continue to love and protect one another, and wrap our arms around those who do the work to usher in Black freedom and, by extension, freedom for everyone else.”

Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot had to refund the city’s police department after crime rates skyrocketed. In September, she proposed a $16.7 billion spending plan that included $1.9 billion for the CP’s annual budget — a $200,000 increase for the previous year.

Crime data from the department showed that “as of Sept. 1 the city has recorded 524 homicides and 2,344 shootings — up 3% and 9%, respectively, over the same time period last year,” per The Blaze.

A sentencing date has not yet been set for Smollett.

6 responses to “Black Lives Matter Backs Jussie Smollett After Guilty Verdict”

Friend of mine (about 35, African American had previously had a couple of run ins with police) supported BLM at the initial G Floyd stage, before the real rioting started. Now, she says those people need GOD. AA lady came and found me in dept store and said “Don’t leave your purse in the buggy and step away to look at something (yeah, I did). You can’t do that now days”. I am white, half Irish American but think American should be enough info. I had a run in with police in Greensboro NC 1981 or 82 got roughed up, jailed overnight. Like my grandma would say “you had no business being there at that time of night to start with” and she was likely right but I didn’t deserve what I got. It was the supervisor that was the asshole not the patrolman. Patrolman even apologized for the aforementioned later after court “That got way out of hand”. Moral to the story-SOME individuals should NOT be: Police Officers, POTUS, NIH Director, Teachers, Nurses on and on. Some individuals have control issues that are exacerbated by a position of authority. Urban PDs need more mental health safety valves for themselves. They are horribly abuse by some citizens on a fairly regular basis. How do I know? Because I got these citizens on the psyche unit AFTER they had been disarmed. The mentally ill weren’t so much of a problem as the: mentally ill and personality disordered (narcissist, sociopaths ect) jacked up (sometimes for days) on illegal drugs were. I would LOVE to see AOC in some of the situations I HAVE been in. I would also like to see drug toxicology on some of these folks showing out and getting shot by police or dying in custody (we know Floyd was). I am not a betting person, but I bet most were. And I am NOT talking about weed either. GOVERNMENT- as usual treating and misinterpreting the symptoms and not treating the disease.

2. DonRon says:

One day I hope they bring it on, but I do stress the black, Asian, Hispanic etc that are normal, please stay home and away as us whites outnumber them and IMO we don’t care about skin color, we care about character, so please stay away whilst we fuck them up , that is the black racists as us whites outnumber them fiercely and want to live in a color blind society of great peoples

3. JMac says:

This is why nobody serious can take them seriously on stuff like this.

I am on a rant today but this bothers me. I hear this and I don’t understand. In the glare of overwhelming evidence, BLM issues a statement like this. Basically, they believe him because he is black and the police are bad. I would not support anyone, any race, height, weight, with any income or address that had this much evidence against them. Family or friend, I may love but not publicly support. It disturbs me. The public outrage at this staged crime may have influenced other instances of violence. I also wonder, if by flimsy circumstantial evidence, suspects would have been produced, he would have continued to play along with his story (and if the false suspects were not charged, would they have been doxed by BLM?). They are not black or are conservative so they deserve it? If no suspects were produced, it would have died down but a trial would have kept it in the media. I saw the former Superintendent of Chicago PD on local news station. He said in 30 years on PD he, had NEVER seen anyone that was a victim of violent assault that still had their sandwich. He said THAT with the handling of the noose by JS set off red flags, then the video ect. When one is in fear of their lives, they are concerned with a sandwich? Disturbing situation on many levels. Hate, narcissism, political, or mix and match for JS and BLM?

5. OrangeApple says:

The CPD is absolutely corrupt along with their justice system. I’ve had personal experience with them not filing police reports and trying to cover for a defendant that is connected to the Daleys and successfully fucked my friend in a kangaroo court and cost him 5 grand. The white supremacy is real because my friend and I are white and they persecuted us because we’re white.

6. Cursed108 says:

Blm are scum who are not interested in justice. They just want a racewar…