News /

The singer said she was 'just seeing red' because of Senator Joe Manchin

Singer Bette Midler apologized after criticizing the people of West Virginia in a tweet intended to criticize Joe Manchin.

West Virginia Senator Joe Manchin announced on Dec. 20 that he would not support President Joe Biden’s Build Back Better Act. Support for the $1.9 trillion spending plan was evenly split. Democrats were depending on Machin’s vote along with a tie-breaking vote from Vice President Kamala Harris.

“If I can’t go home and explain it to the people of West Virginia, I can’t vote for it. And I cannot vote to continue with this piece of legislation. I just can’t. I’ve tried everything humanly possible. I can’t get there,” Manchin said in an interview on Dec. 19.

Midler, the 76-year-old Hocus Pocus star, took to Twitter to voice her displeasure regarding the senator’s decision.

What #JoeManchin, who represents a population smaller than Brooklyn, has done to the rest of America, who wants to move forward, not backward, like his state, is horrible,” she wrote. “He sold us out. He wants us all to be just like his state, West Virginia. Poor, illiterate and strung out.”

“I apologize to the good people of WVA for my last outburst,” she tweeted. “I’m just seeing red; #JoeManchin and his whole family are a criminal enterprise. Is he really the best WV has to offer its own citizens?

“Surely there’s someone there who has the state’s interests at heart, not his own!” she added.

Mider’s apology was not enough to stem the wave of criticism she is now facing.

Kelsey Chapman, a native of West Virginia who now lives in New York, wrote that the singer’s comments reflect the frustrating stereotypes that plague the state.

We’re simultaneously too stupid to wear shoes, but so evil we’ll murder anyone who looks different,” Chapman wrote for The Independent.

Midler’s comments indicate a deep misunderstanding of how systems of power oppress those inside them, likely because she’s been richer than God for so long she’s forgotten how it is for families living below the poverty line.”

She added that a broken education system contributes to below-average literacy rates while “the only way out of generational poverty in West Virginia is usually to go to work for the mines.”

Midler “has previously been accused of racism while dismissing black Trump supporters, and poked fun at then-first lady Melania Trump’s accent, calling her an ‘illegal alien’ and ‘FLOTITS,” reports The New York Post.

In June of 2019, she “shared a fake quote attributed to President Donald Trump, who dismissed the actress as a ‘washed up psycho.’”

12 responses to “Bette Midler Apologizes For Calling West Virginians ‘Poor, Illiterate and Strung Out’”

1. NoOne123 says:

what a cunt.

Apology not accepted, bitch. We hate you. Leave MY country, I don’t want peace with you.

3. Rawdog says:

Wow, the ONE time a senator actually listens to his constituents and puts his STATE first, as is his job, the Hollywood elites come out.
    Only problem is. . .technology. WE can tell them to their [publicist’s] face what we think of them.

4. Pecktec says:

I’m glad she is called out for “othering” an entire state with her Insipid comments. Brooklyn being full to the top with people doesn’t discount the voices in WV. What a tramp.

5. Boscoman says:

From WV, apology not accepted. We are not illiterate nor ignorant here. We are not part of the cult of the left that is determined to destroy this country & we don’t take kindly to Marxists. We understand that this bill was an attempt to destroy the country systematically by taking down the economy, destroying our electoral system (in violation of the Constitution), and simply allowing the left to deny us of the rights we were born with that are enumerated in the Constitution and Bill of Rights.
    She would do herself a big favor by just keeping quite. She simply ends up appearing small, petty, and ugly.

6. Poetentiate says:

Devilsgun

That’s what it has come down to, and it’s mostly their fault.

7. Poetentiate says:

Crocodile apology. That’s how they feel about “the rest of us” and always have, the “caring/moral person mask” she was wearing, came off for a second.

8. jeteroheller says:

That’s how all libs see people not in NYC or LA.

9. Devilsgun says:

Bette has the same overblown, entitled non-thinker know-it-all narcissism, smug superiority complex, and arrested emotional development disease that RA The Rugged Man so brutally expressed on Timcast, but with the haughty arrogance of a dwindling Broadway superstar that’s rapidly compressing into a dense, old white dwarf nobody with zero gravitational pull.

I get a great deal of schadenfreude watching these big, bloviating coastal urban elitists suffer after decades of them acting like everyone I know and love is nothing more than some insignificant redneck flyover state nobody untermensch, and I have no intent to ever “hug it out” with these fucks. I want to watch them writhe and die from a good, safe distance

“Hocus Pocus”-That is how I remember this witch. Riding on a vacuum cleaner.
    Now, I see in reality she is…even worse.

11. Laharl says:

The number of old, decaying out of touch celebrities in Hollywood is really sad. You would think with age they would say more edgy stuff but no, they really will die tweeting ‘Orange Man Bad’.

God I love my grandma.

12. neilinda says:

So sad to see Ms. Midler, who used to be/seem to be smart and sassy, has turned into an entitled elitist who can’t see beyond her own nose.