Trump Takes CPAC Straw Poll With Massive Majority, DeSantis Distant Second

By Cassandra Fairbanks

Former President Donald Trump won the Conservative Political Action Conference’s straw poll of 2024 contenders by a massive majority.

Florida Governor Ron DeSantis came in a distant second — after beating Trump at a conservative conference headlined by former Vice President Mike Pence, last month.

Trump won a landslide victory with 70 percent of the vote, while DeSantis followed behind with 21 percent. Neither potential candidate has officially announced a campaign.

Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.), former U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley, Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas), Fox News host Tucker Carlson, South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem (R) and former Secretary of State Mike Pompeo (R) all walked away with one percent each.

Pence received zero percent.

At the Western Conservative Summit in Denver in June, 74 percent of participants approved of a potential DeSantis presidency, while Trump received the approval of 71 percent.

The CPAC straw poll found that when Trump was removed from the options, DeSantis received 68 percent of the vote.

Trump has said that he would consider DeSantis as a running mate — but has not announced if he is actually running yet.

“Well, he’s a friend of mine. I endorsed Ron. And after I endorsed him, he took off like a rocket ship,” Trump said in an interview with Fox Business in May. “He’s done a great job as governor.”

“A lot of people like that — I’m just saying what I read and what you read, they love that ticket,” Trump added. “But certainly, Ron would be considered. He’s a great guy.”

Many supporters of a Trump/DeSantis ticket have pointed to the fact that the governor’s popularity in his state would give Republicans a leg up in the state. Florida is a key swing state that has leaned right in recent elections.

The former president recently told Fox News host Sean Hannity that he has made a decision about running, but did not say what the decision was.

For corrections, please email [email protected]

7 responses to “Trump Takes CPAC Straw Poll With Massive Majority, DeSantis Distant Second”

1. ronr says:

I voted for Trump both times, but I’d rather see DeSantis as the nominee. He knows the core issues better, fights the media more artfully, and can articulate complex solutions. I’ll give Trump one more shot at it if he wants it, but then it’s DeSantis all the way.

2. Growler says:

Trump and DeSantis do not get along. I would pick DeSantis over Trump. DeSantis is smoother and more calculating. Trump is a lightning rod of Wokies anger. Trump tweets so much stuff, that they are constantly angry and confused over which tweet to attack. The Wokies would be “peacefully” protesting every day and bond into a stronger tribe against those of us who are Awake.

I use wokies because Scott Adams uses that term.
    I use AWAKE because, anti-Woke acknowledges their lingo, and AWAKE indicates hows more awareness.

3. larry_fine says:

I see so much infighting right now among people jockeying for power in the Republican party, this concerns me for opposing the woke cult agenda of the democrats & the left. There was active sabotage in many things during Trump’s presidency, preventing action against big tech, building the border wall, exiting the foreign wars, sabotage in judicial nominations, sabotage combating election fraud last fall, and it’s looking like there is active sabotage within the latest lawsuit against big tech censorship.

I would vote Trump again in 2024 but I also say a lot of advisers need to be cleaned up or else it’ll be an ineffective administration once again to combat the biggest problems the left pushes for.

4. MontyLalado says:

I like Paul but he voted against building the wall

5. Cmenser1990 says:

Trump! trump!

6. BeLikeWater says:

I wouldn’t mind Rand Paul up there.

7. PolishPierogi says:

Call it a hunch but I think DeSantis is going to continue his success in Florida as the governor and Trump is going to pick another one on that list for his VP. If you follow the money and organization, there’s a candidate on there that is setting themselves up nicely for a VP slot, and I welcome it.