A second bus carrying Central American migrants from Texas arrived in Washington, DC Thursday just blocks from the U.S. Capitol, reports Fox News.
Officials claim the immigrants are from Venezuela, Nicaragua, Cuba, and Colombia.
Texas Governor Greg Abbott said his decision to “deport” the immigrants from Texas is for the protection of citizens across the Lone Star State.
“Texans demand and deserve an aggressive, comprehensive strategy to secure our border—not President Biden’s lackluster leadership,” Abbott said in a statement. “As the federal government continues to roll back commonsense policies that once kept our communities safe, our local law enforcement has stepped up to protect Texans from dangerous criminals, deadly drugs, and illegal contraband flooding into the Lone Star State.”
Second bus of migrants from Texas arrived in DC this morning (14 people on board) although some are apparently not staying in DC long, already on their way to NYC via train
— Steve Chenevey FOX5 (@stevechenevey) April 14, 2022
According to Abbott, his government is also taking the following steps to secure the border:
- Signing laws that provide $3 billion in funding for Texas’ border security efforts
- Launching Operation Lone Star and deploying thousands of National Guard soldiers and Texas Department of Public Safety troopers
- Arresting and jailing illegal migrants trespassing or committing other state crimes in Texas
- Allocated resources that include recently acquired 1,700 steel panels to building the border wall in Texas
- Signing a law to make it easier to prosecute smugglers bringing people into Texas
- Signing 15 laws cracking down on human trafficking in Texas
- Signing a law enhancing penalties for the manufacturing and distribution of fentanyl
- Issuing a disaster declaration for the border crisis
- Issuing an executive order preventing non-governmental entities from transporting illegal immigrants
- Taking legal action to enforce the Remain in Mexico in Texas
- Taking aggressive action to secure the border as President Biden ends Title 42 expulsions, including enhancing vehicle inspections, busing unlawful migrants to Washington, D.C., and creating boat blockades along the Rio Grande River