Government /

Jan 6 Committee Will Vote to Hold Steve Bannon in Criminal Contempt

The former advisor to President Trump did not appear for his deposition on Oct 14

The House committee formed to investigate Jan. 6 announced on Oct. 14 they will schedule a vote to hold Steve Bannon in criminal contempt.

Last month, a subpoena was issued to compel Bannon to turn over documents that allegedly related to the conflict between police and protestors at the Capitol in January. The former advisor to President Donald Trump was also supposed to appear for a deposition on Thursday.

Bannon did not comply with either order.

The vote will be held on Oct. 19, according to an announcement from committee chairman Rep. Bennie Thompson (D-Miss), who issued the following statement:

“Mr. Bannon has declined to cooperate with the Select Committee and is instead hiding behind the former President’s insufficient, blanket, and vague statements regarding privileges he has purported to invoke. We reject his position entirely. The Select Committee will not tolerate defiance of our subpoenas, so we must move forward with proceedings to refer Mr. Bannon for criminal contempt. I’ve notified the Select Committee that we will convene for a business meeting Tuesday evening to vote on adopting a contempt report. … We’re moving ahead quickly to get answers for the American people about what happened on January 6th and help secure the future of American democracy,” he added.

According to NBC News, “once the committee adopts the contempt report next week, it will refer the report to the House for a vote. Assuming that the Democrat-controlled House adopts it, it will then be referred to the U.S. Attorney for the District of Columbia ‘to bring the matter before the grand jury for its action.’ Channing D. Phillips, who was named acting U.S. attorney for D.C. in March, has served at the Justice Department under both Democratic and Republican administrations.”

In a letter sent on Oct. 13, Robert Costello, a lawyer for Bannon, notified the committee he would not comply with the subpoena. Costello wrote that Trump “is exercising his executive privilege” and that the ex-president’s lawyer had instructed Bannon “not to produce documents or testify until the issue of executive privilege is resolved.”

“That is is an issue between the Committee and President Trump’s counsel and Mr. Bannon is not required to respond at this time,” Costello wrote in his letter, which was shared on Twitter.

The New York Post reports that “a total of 19 subpoenas have been issued, including 11 against organizers of the ‘Stop the Steal’ rally that preceded the storming of the Capitol by hundreds of Trump supporters attempting to prevent congressional certification of President Biden’s electoral victory.”

The committee was supposed to hear from Defense Department official Kash Patel, whose deposition has been rescheduled for a later date.

The depositions of White House chief of staff Mark Meadows and Trump’s social media director Dan Scavino were both set for Oct. 15 and have also been rescheduled.

7 responses to “Jan 6 Committee Will Vote to Hold Steve Bannon in Criminal Contempt”

1. Cleffy says:

There have literally been 0 people found guilty of contempt since 1975. The sole person who was charged lied under oath and received punishment for that. Former lawyers in Congress don’t seem to understand that the Chamber of Congress is not a Court of Law. The same rules do not apply. Sure they may be able to rig the system against Bannon, but the chance should be zero since we don’t live in a Fascist Society.

2. sportscardude says:

Boy I wish they would pay this much attention to the Portland & other recent race riots.

3. CrispyBacon says:

President Trump asserted executive privilege and their response to Bannon’s obligation to the president was: “We reject his position entirely. The Select Committee will not tolerate defiance of our subpoenas”

Then go to a court and have a declaratory judgment rendered. These people aren’t just some god that gets to summon the commoners on a whim and decide what legal defenses are insufficient to their liking.

4. ApecoreBreakdown says:

I hope steve bannon is locked and loaded there is no peaceful solution to violent authoritarianism

I was there Jan 6th. I didn’t even know who Steve Bannon was. I was there because every courthouse door in this country had been slammed in the face of the American people. No one would even look at the evidence. To me Trump was irrelevant. We went directly to the Capitol-didn’t even hear Trump speak. That bunch was still on the way over when the bicycle gate barrier went down. I know, more or less, what happened that day. Here is a news flash- lame stream media and officials lied/manipulated/concealed info, not to mention video taped evidence (and continue to). It seems to be their past time. If this was the most free, fair election in history why not have a look/see? I don’t KNOW about the election but I WANT to know. What could they possibly have to fear? Then, they can spend the rest of eternity ROTFL at Trump supporters (and inquisitive taxpayers). I voted for Trump, but would consider myself more of an America first voter. Reg. Independent since 1986. The Federal Government has been out of control (with little accounting for) for a long time. We The People. THAT is why I was there.

• Cidr1337 says:

I wish I went.

• dovy says:

I was on Jan 6th and I watched Trump speak. I initially went because I knew it would be the largest political event of my time. The sea of people was astounding. When Trump finally started to speak, a bunch of militant looking guys started disrupting the crowd and walking towards the Capitol. One guys shouted: “you can see this on YouTube later.” I believe these were the agitators who went and stormed the Capitol, posing as Trump supporters. I did not walk with the crowd to the Capitol luckily.

I didn’t have my eyes as wide open as after January 6th. I saw how the media spun everything and realized I had been believing a lie about our (then) incumbent President. There was no insurrection, it was staged to force us to all comply. I have taken the “pill” of seeing the media for what they are. I will continue to be an independent and I will never vote for another uniparty stooge ever.

America first and all lives matter.