Health /

England May Start Prescribing Vapes to People Trying to Quit Smoking

The government wants the nation to be smoke-free by 2030

England’s National Health Service could begin prescribing e-cigarettes to people who want to quit smoking.

The government wants the country to be smoke-free by 2030.

Health Secretary Sajid Javid has backed the plan saying prescribed vape products have the “potential to tackle the stark disparities in smoking rates across the country, helping people stop smoking wherever they live and whatever their background.”

“This country continues to be a global leader on healthcare, whether it’s our Covid-19 vaccine rollout saving lives or our innovative public health measures reducing people’s risk of serious illness,” he said in a statement on Oct. 27.

Under new rules from the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA), vape makers would be allowed to submit their products for a review and approval process as if it were a medication.

Patients would be prescribed the devices on a case-by-case basis, free of charge.

Robert West, a tobacco expert at University College London, told The Times, “The regulatory hurdles to be overcome for a product to be licensed are still huge and I am not confident that any e-cigarette manufacturer that is independent of the tobacco industry will have the resources to overcome the hurdles.

The government views e-cigarettes as a “highly effective” way of helping smokers quit. Approximately 27% of smokers use vaping products, whereas about 18% use products like patches and nicotine gum.

While there are risks associated with vaping, “experts believe that it is still less harmful than smoking tobacco which remains one of Britain’s biggest killers with almost 6.1 million people in the country being smokers,” notes The Mirror.

The health secretary reported that about 64,000 people died due to smoking in 2019.

However, e-cigarettes are far from universally popular.

The World Health Organization has said they are “undoubtedly harmful” while the World Heart Federation wants more regulation on what it calls the “e-cigarette epidemic.”

“While rates are at record low levels in the UK, smoking is still the leading cause of preventable death and there are still around 6.1 million smokers in England, and in some areas such as Blackpool and Kingston upon Hull, almost one in four people smoke,” reports The Daily Mail. “Supporters of vaping point to British research estimating that in 2017 e-cigarettes helped more than 50,000 smokers in England to quit.”

It is not clear if Scotland and Wales will follow England’s lead if e-cigarette prescriptions are approved.

8 responses to “England May Start Prescribing Vapes to People Trying to Quit Smoking”

The only e-cig I liked was V II and JUUL bought it out and discontinued it (sound familiar?). Vapes make me cough (other people- this may be the way to go). I have smoked 47 years and only hurt myself (but admittedly, have been lucky). The Grim Reaper is not on the front porch yet, but at my age ; he is DEFINITELY in the yard. We can talk about alcohol, drug abuse and a plethora of other bad, potentially lethal habits ( most people have one even- driving recklessly and exceeding the posted speed limit. Look up leading causes of death- ages 20-24 ). But why? Personal Accountability. “I don’t tell you about your business…Don’t tell me about mine.” paraphrased-Lynyrd Skynyrd
    “You get what you put in and people get what they deserve.” Only God knows Why-Kid Rock
    I guess SO will I. No one can stop it but ME.

2. prcntm says:

He is not spreading false information. He is voicing his opinion. Please stop conflating these two.

I’ve never really understood the term “false information” anyway. There is literally no way to have false information. You only ever have plain old information. You can very easily have true or false conclusions based off of information as well as information about questionable events or things, but you cannot actually have false information.

As for the actual topic of discussion: I wouldn’t doubt that there is at least one politician set to profit hard off of this particular decision, but at the same time I lost two grandparents to smoking. And they didn’t just “die sooner” (the excuse I usually hear from smokers on this point). They died slowly. My grandfather spent the last 5 years of his life coughing constantly, unable to get a full breath. A heart attack took him before the worst of it. My grandmother, though. She lived to a ripe old age of 80 and the last 10 years of her life were spent on oxygen 24/7. She was barely able to breathe, she would have extreme coughing fits, and couldn’t actually speak to me when she was on her death bed. I also learned about 10 years after her death from my father that once she went on oxygen she would always express her desire to die, which only got worse when my grandfather passed. Luckily my dad and his siblings kept her from expressing that in front of her grandchildren. The end of their lives were completely destroyed by smoking and I hated seeing them in that state. I will never smoke because of what I saw them go through, nor will I put my children through what my dad and his siblings had to go through. If prescribing Vapes will help people avoid the worst of what smoking has to offer, I would gladly line a politician’s pockets for that cause. So long as it doesn’t become a mandate. Otherwise I’m just going to start referring to the UK as Oceania.

3. Antonette59 says:

Exactly right. I quit 6 years ago using vaping. England has done the best research that I have seen. I can do so much more since I started vaping. Working out is so much easier.

4. He3Fusion says:

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about, to say such a thing. A vape has four basic ingredients and 3 of them are used in everyday foods. The fourth is nicotine, which is found in the common tomato. In fact, any quality-made vape product uses nicotine derived from tomatoes, instead of tobacco. Whereas the smoke from a cigarette has over 4000 chemicals, a vape is little more than a common fog machine with flavor and nicotine added. So if you would please not spread false information to people, that scares them away from what looks to be the best method of quitting smoking available, that would be great.

5. Vashts1985 says:

researchers were studying propylene glycol vapor to kill the flu. propylene glycol a medium used in iv drugs, found in may food products, and is also the main ingredient in vape juice.

chalk another one up for the trump was right.

fuck anyone who still says trump said to inject bleach.

6. Vespucci says:

Damn. 6 million smokers and 60k die from smoking in 2019. 6% mortality. They really need smoking lockdown immediately.

7. Timweb84 says:

What the hell happened to all the youtube shows, or shows in general it’s been two nights now. What going on??????????????? Tim are you alive?????????

8. Plaguen says:

So… Give them something worse to get them to stop smoking… Which politician has invested in vape companies.