Britney Spears is the New Celebrity Face of Catholicism

The pop star made the announcement on Instagram

Britney Spears revealed she is now a Catholic.

In an Instagram post, the pop icon wrote, “I just got back from Mass … I’m a Catholic now … Let us pray.”

As of Friday afternoon, the post has been removed from her profile.

The announcement comes almost a year after Spears told followers in a Q&A on the platform that she goes “back and forth” between religions.

“I grew up Baptist. But I studied Kabbalah so I go back and forth — but I do believe there is a god,” she said in the video according to Newsweek.

That video has also since been removed.

Newsweek notes that “there was a time in the mid-2000s when Kabbalah, a branch of Jewish mysticism, was the religion du jour among the celebrity elite, and everyone from Lindsay Lohan to Ashton Kutcher and Paris Hilton were spotted wearing the movement’s signature red string bracelet.”

The Pew Research Center said in 2018 there are an estimated 51 million Catholics in the United States. “Politically, Catholic registered voters are evenly split between those who identify with or lean toward the Democratic Party (47%) and those who favor the GOP (46%),” the fact tank reported. The Catholic church generally reports an annual net loss of members.

Christian online publication Aleteia wrote that there are typically five types of converts to Catholicism: intellectual converts, aesthetic converts, social media converts, Muslim converts, and spousal converts.

Decorated Olympic swimmer Katie Ledecky said in a 2016 interview that her Catholic faith gave her strength in every aspect of her life.

“I think the beauty of Catholicism is its consistency through both successes and difficulties,” she told the National Catholic Register.

Spears has been struggling with her father and her right to independence for at least the past two years. The 39-year-old singer has been embroiled in a well-documented fight to end her years-long conservatorship.

In court, Spears described the legal guardianship — which was instated in 2008 after several public mental health concerns in the 2000s — as “abusive.” In addition to not having a say in her legal representation or finances, she also said she has been forced to use birth control despite wanting a child.

Fans and celebrities began posting under the viral tag #FreeBritney after concerns for her well-being hit a crescendo during the lockdown in 2020.

In 2019, her father, Jamie Spears, “requested to extend his daughter’s conservatorship to more than 10 states, including Hawaii, Florida, and Louisiana,” per Business Insider.

Last month, “Rep. Charlie Crist, D-Florida., and Rep. Nancy Mace, R-S.C., introduced the bipartisan ‘Free Britney Act,’” reports CNBC. If adopted, the bill would “give individuals under a legal conservatorship or guardianship the right to ask for their court-appointed private guardian to be replaced with a public guardian who is ‘free from financial conflicts of interest.’ Current laws require individuals to prove in court that fraud or abuse has occurred for a guardian to be replaced.”

Additionally, the bill would mandate that an independent caseworker be assigned to individuals under a conservatorship or guardianship so that they can monitor for signs of abuse.

An estimated 1.3 million adult Americans are under restrictive arrangements similar to Spears.

8 responses to “Britney Spears is the New Celebrity Face of Catholicism”

1. Sith4Brains says:

l wish the best for Britney Spears and believe her conservatorship breaches her human rights in many ways. However, l’m old enough to remember Janet Jackson converting to Islam and then having to run from it…

2. ChetF says:

Come-on Man 🙂 The right has got to do better than grab ahold of these used up celebrities whenever they seem to fall our direction. If you going to win a culture war you have to do better than born-again basket cases.

3. LadyDragonspell says:

I agree with the bill. No one should have absolute control over anyone else unless proven without a doubt that they are incapable of making decisions on their own. Even mild MR/schizoid people are given more freedom than what appears to be in the Spears case. BTW in todays world 39 is not too old to have a baby.. hell if a “man” can have one, so can an older, REAL biological woman.

4. Rawdog says:

As much as I may not like the idea of conservatorships. This situation is the ‘exception that proves the rule’. That girl is mildly retarded and batshit crazy. She needs to be taken care of unless she wants to end up homeless. She also should NOT have any MORE children as she is 39, among other mental issues. For her ex-husband to get full custody of the kids she does have suggests that she has some serious mental issues.

• Marilyn says:

I agree. I work at a state hospital for the severely mentally ill in the forensics unit. There’s a reason her conservatorship has been in place for something like 13 years. People who think she can manage without it are ignorant. If not for her father, she would’ve ended up dead and possibly taken her children with her. She was 5150d for a reason. As for people clutching their pearls over her IUD, she’s probably on meds that cause birth defects. It’s unfortunate but the fact is some people cannot manage simple day to day tasks without medication. Doesn’t anyone remember her rats nest extensions and how poor her personal hygiene was? Even now her eyeliner always looks like it’s three days old. I suspect she is bipolar. I don’t think her family forced her to perform. It seems like she wants to when she’s experiencing an upswing and doesn’t want to, and probably blames others and feels victimized, when she’s experiencing a downswing. She doesn’t have good insight. May have some mild paranoia going on. That’s common. And yeah she’s always seemed a bit dense.

• Goofrump says:

I just went to her profile on Instagram and I’m sorry that woman deserves no praise. She is sick and needs help, including a PR group who can control what she posts. There is nothing catholic about her save her words and that means jack. “You shall know them by their works” is scripture. So no, she is not Christian in the true sense. That said, I completely agree with you. She needs help in a bad way and I pity her.

• neilinda says:

I live with a family member who has been diagnosed with a mental disorder and over the years have learned that most of us have no clue what life for them is like. From family support groups I also know that those running our ‘state hospitals’ are probably/usually operating in the dark ages.
        BUT, I think there is more here than mental health issues. Ms. Spears is just one of a half a dozen or more young women who came on the ‘fame’ scene at what may have been the worse time possible for them. If you stop looking at their current events and go back 20+ years to when they were kids… and young women… and then look at the parenting they were provided it is possible to see what at least a part of the reason is for their current situations.
        Mr and Mrs Spears were inept parents whose daughter -as a child- was in a high need (for good parenting) profession.
        They bumbled the job.
        She has been ‘crashing and burning’ for years because of it.
        That Mr Spears could ‘spoil’ her by mismanagement and ‘miss-parenting’ and then take her money is wrong.
        Just my two cents.

5. UppityG says:

If this is legit, good for her. Somehow, I’m skeptical, if that quote at the top is verbatim. But, I’ll give her a year of attending Mass every Saturday/Sunday and behaving more maturely to prove my skepticism unwarranted.