Health /

BREAKING: California Reinstates Universal Indoor Mask Mandate

California announced that they are reinstating their universal indoor mask mandate on Monday.

The mandate will go into effect statewide on Wednesday and continue until January 15, 2022.

Health and Human Services Sec. Dr. Mark Ghaly said in his announcement of the mandate that it will apply to all residents and visitors regardless of their vaccination status.

The news of the mandate comes as the state reported 18 cases of the omicron variant, which is said to typically have mild symptoms.

“The state will also require people attending mega-events of 1,000 people or more that don’t require vaccination to show proof of a negative test taken within one day for an antigen test, and within two days for a PCR test. The previous window was 72 hours,” the San Francisco Chronicle reports. “And it will recommend that travelers returning to California get tested three to five days after arrival.”

A mask mandate was already in effect in the state for those who are unvaccinated, but the rules for vaccinated people had varied by county and local ordinances.

“This is a critical time,” Ghaly said, according to the Chronicle report. “We have a tool we know has worked and can work. We are proactively putting this tool of universal indoor masking in place to ensure we get through a time of joy and hope without a darker cloud of despair. Californians have done this before, and we believe we can do it again.”

The Los Angeles Times reports that coronavirus case rates have risen by 50% in the last 2½ weeks.

“The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention considers California as having a high level of transmission of the coronavirus, the worst tier in the federal agency’s four-tier scale,” the report adds.

New York also mandated masks indoors on Monday, except in places where people are required to be vaccinated for entry.

7 responses to “BREAKING: California Reinstates Universal Indoor Mask Mandate”

1. Vaultboy7 says:

In Northern California- our county in the Sierra Nevadas, near the capital, is mostly unmasked. I work in the capital and surrounding areas, masking is rarely enforced and, i would argue, highly optional.

Let’s see them enforce this new policy. The governor lives fairly close to my home and has booed out of a bunch public locations. He’s not terribly popular in our area, but I don’t think he cares.

2. Skynet0225 says:

I’m currently in California from Texas due to the passing of my brother in law. I still have a lot of family who live in the state, mostly in central and Northern California. I was in the Bay area and their masking is hit or miss, depending on the whim of whoever is in charge of a particular area. I don’t think the cops will participate in any of the nonsense other than to enforce trespassing ordinances. I will see how serious the Central Valley takes it tomorrow. California really is multiple states wrapped up in one. Oddly enough, in Northern California I saw that PG&E was finally clearing 100 foot easements of all trees and foliage on either side of their power lines through the forests. This is common practice in other states, and it would seem the state has finally silenced the idiotic Sierra Club and their environmental mismanagement. I also so lumber mills logging trees again, so who knows? Maybe the state won’t completely burn down next year.

3. mattcaron says:

Tuesday update – several NY counties have told her to piss up a rope.

California-Have a very Merry Masked Christmas and authoritarian New Year. I know you all are not on board with this ridiculousness. My condolences. I had hoped “Lurch” Gruesome Newsom would be recalled. Get some more pics of him breaking his own mandates.

5. prcntm says:

Quick Question (and a bit sad that I have to ask it in the first place): Are they trying to tell people in their own homes to mask up, or is this just public indoor spaces where this is being enforced?

Normally I wouldn’t feel the need to ask the question, but it’s California…

Also: how do the people living in Nowhere, California feel about this?

6. DatNathanDrake says:

And with that I respond : “come over here and make me.”

I do not comply. Fuck you!

Please Login to post a comment